Ghee Rice Recipe
Ghee rice recipe is a fragrant, subtly spiced special rice among the variety rice items of India. Laden with clarified butter, caramelized onions, aromatic spices, nuts and coriander leaves, this dish is served on special occasions. When you are pressed for time and need to make a special meal, Ghee rice is the go to recipe. Handful of ingredients, quick and easy to make, rich, tasty and filling. When served with egg or chicken curry, in fact any curry of your choice, you have a special meal to serve family and friends. It goes well with most South Indian dishes like Chicken curry or paneer, egg or meat based curries. I served it with chicken ghee roast and sambar.
There a few variations of the basic Ghee rice recipe. I am posting a tried and tested recipe that works good for me. Do not skimp the finishing touch of ghee toasted nuts and caramelized onions because they are the key ingredients which lend this dish its unique flavor.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 5
- Long grained rice - 2 cups, washed and drained
- Onion - 1, large, finely sliced
- Green chilies - 2, slit length wise
- Cloves - 6
- Cardamom - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1" stick (2 pieces)
- Bay leaf - 2
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 10-12, break into small pieces
- Raisins - fistful (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Ghee - 4 tbsps
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel, add 3 tbsps ghee and allow it to melt. Once hot, reduce flame, add the cashew nuts and saute till golden brown and remove. Add the raisins and saute for a few seconds and remove. Keep aside the cashew nuts and raisins.
- In the same vessel, add the sliced onion and saute till the onions are caramelized. This could take about 9-12 mts. Remove the onions and keep aside.
- In the same cooking vessel, add a tbsp of ghee and once hot, add the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. Allow to splutter. Add the green chilies and saute for a few seconds. Add the drained rice and saute on low flame for 4 mts. Do not over mix or the rice might break. Add 3 3/4 cups hot water, garam masala powder and salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce flame to low, place lid and cook till the rice is soft. Remove lid and mix well. Remove onto a serving plate.
- Garnish with caramelized onions, cashew nuts and coriander leaves and serve with chicken or paneer curry or chicken ghee roast.
- You can add a tsp of ginger garlic paste at the time of sauteing the whole spices. Saute for 3 mts and then add the rice.
- Roast the rice for at least 3 minutes. Do not skip this step and do not over roast.
Published: Ghee rice recipe is a fragrant special rice among the variety rice recipes. South Indian dishes like chicken ghee roast or chicken curry go well with it.
Ghee rice recipe is a fragrant special rice among the variety rice recipes. South Indian dishes like chicken ghee roast or chicken curry go well with it.