I hope you are enjoying the Oats recipes in Indian style blogged so far. Thank you for all the wonderful feedback that I have been receiving on the Facebook fan page and here. Oats Pongal, a South Indian style healthy breakfast recipe, is sure to be well received by your loved ones. I added spinach along with yellow moong dal giving the Oats Pongal a wonderful flavor and not to mention, nutrition.
Its a personal preference, I like to make the Oats Pongal a bit more creamy (read liquid-y) by adding more liquid during the cooking process. Just add 1/2 cup of water in addition to the mentioned quantity of water in the recipe. Throw in some mixed vegetables and you have a one pot meal. I enjoy Oats Pongal when dunked in rasam or sambar rather than a chutney as a side. Its super comforting.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 3
- moong dal
- Oats - 1 cup, dry roast for 4 mts
- Yellow Moong dal - 1/2 cup, dry roast for 5 mts and cook till soft
- Spinach - 1 cup, finely chopped (optional)
- Cashew nuts - 4-5, break into pieces
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Green chilies - 2, slit
- Salt to taste
- Water - 1 1/2 cups
- For Tempering:
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp. lightly crushed
- Black peppercorns - 1 tsp, lightly crushed
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Ghee - 3 tsps (or oil)
- Heat ghee in a vessel, add broken cashew nuts and saute till golden brown. Remove and keep aside. In the same ghee, add crushed cumin and black pepper corns and allow the cumin to splutter.
- Add asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds. Add ginger, green chilies and mix. Add spinach and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Add oats and mix. Reduce flame and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal and mix. Place lid and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Turn off flame and remove onto a serving bowl. Garnish with toasted cashew nuts.
- Spinach is optional.
- You can add mixed vegetables of your choice for a one pot meal.
Published: Oats Pongal, a South Indian style healthy breakfast recipe with oats for your kids lunck box. Learn how to make a quick, tasty and nutritious oats recipe.
Oats Pongal, a South Indian style healthy breakfast recipe with oats for your kids lunck box. Learn how to make a quick, tasty and nutritious oats recipe.