Oats Spinach Pongal

breakfast recipes with oats for kids in Indian style
Oats Pongal ~ Healthy Indian Breakfast

Oats Pongal

I hope you are enjoying the Oats recipes in Indian style blogged so far. Thank you for all the wonderful feedback that I have been receiving on the Facebook fan page and here. Oats Pongal, a South Indian style healthy breakfast recipe, is sure to be well received by your loved ones. I added spinach along with yellow moong dal giving the Oats Pongal a wonderful flavor and not to mention, nutrition.

Its a personal preference, I like to make the Oats Pongal a bit more creamy (read liquid-y) by adding more liquid during the cooking process. Just add 1/2 cup of water in addition to the mentioned quantity of water in the recipe. Throw in some mixed vegetables and you have a one pot meal. I enjoy Oats Pongal when dunked in rasam or sambar rather than a chutney as a side. Its super comforting. :)

oats-pongal
Pongal with Oats

Oats Pongal

1. oats
  2. moong dal

• Oats - 1 cup, dry roast for 4 mts
  • Yellow Moong dal - 1/2 cup, dry roast for 5 mts and cook till soft
  • Spinach - 1 cup, finely chopped (optional)
  • Cashew nuts - 4-5, break into pieces
  • Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
  • Green chilies - 2, slit
  • Salt to taste
  • Water - 1 1/2 cups
  • For Tempering:
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp. lightly crushed
  • Black peppercorns - 1 tsp, lightly crushed
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  • Ghee - 3 tsps (or oil)

1. Heat ghee in a vessel, add broken cashew nuts and saute till golden brown. Remove and keep aside. In the same ghee, add crushed cumin and black pepper corns and allow the cumin to splutter.
  2. Add asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds. Add ginger, green chilies and mix. Add spinach and saute for 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Add oats and mix. Reduce flame and cook for 4 minutes.
  4. Add the cooked dal and mix. Place lid and cook for another 3 minutes.
  5. Turn off flame and remove onto a serving bowl. Garnish with toasted cashew nuts.

• Spinach is optional.
  • You can add mixed vegetables of your choice for a one pot meal.

Oats Pongal, a South Indian style healthy breakfast recipe with oats for your kids lunck box. Learn how to make a quick, tasty and nutritious oats recipe.

1. Sharada says:

I liked your oats dosa it came out very good. I will try this dish also. By the way leftover batter is not good for again to use. These are very filling. Thanks for the recipes.

2. Subhashini says:

Hi Sailaja. I tried this recipe and it came out very well. Thank you for the post. I make bisi bele bath with oats too.

3. S V says:

You say “My blog is a humble attempt to preserve our culinary heritage and document traditional recipes” which is admirable. But when there is a distinct modification please indicate that it is not traditional. In this case it is spinach and green chillies. Incidentally pongal is invariably made with moong dal. Hence it is a yogic food(sattwic as well) It has been prasadam from ancient times in the Vishnu temples in the South.You add vegetables it is then kichadi. I have been fed oats pongal from my early childhood in the 1940s when my mother made it for our health. We have been continuing the tradition of using both oats and barley for many decades in various dishes
    Keep up your good work. And the integrity of the dishes. Best wishes

4. Sudhareddy30 says:

I tried this recipe and it came out well.Taste is good.

5. Ksd says:

what type of oats do u use?

6. Panguluri says:

I tried out this recipe and it turned out very tasty . Loved it ! Thanks sailu for all your tasty recipes . Appreciated !

7. Panini Kompella says:

Hi Sailu, we just tried this dish and it came ut really good…thanks for adding a healthy recipe to our breakfast menu :)

8. Chitra Dinesh says:

I tried this recipe with spinach.Awesome taste!! Thanks for sharing.

9. Deepvajra says:

What type of Oats I should use as I stay in US…? Do I need to use regular oats or there is any special Oats I should refer to..Thanks..”)

10. Souji says:

Hi Sailu, We tried your recipe with Quaker quick oats and added some mixed vegetables along with spinach and it came out soo good. My kids also enjoyed it very well. Thank you….

11. DIVYA says:

HI Sailu…i was going thru ur receipe and really liked it. can u please clarify as to whether we have to only dry roast the moong dal or after doing so it has to be cooked with water. I am sorry i do not have much idea about cooking so i am asking for clarification.

12. This is a new recipe for me, Oats with spinach and dal sounds good, I will try. Thanks for sharing.

13. lalitha says:

we used to make pongal with rice. i tried oats pongal which is very tasty and healthy.