When I order vegetarian fare in an Indian restaurant that is known for its North Indian fare, I usually look for an okra main course dish in the menu card. I heart bhindi and look for a new way to cook it away from the monotonous dry saute, sabji, stir fry, stew and stuffed bhindi style recipes.
I always, always have okra in the refrigerator and is a must buy on every visit to the farmer’s market. I chose tender and slender looking bhindi with no blemishes. I decided on making Punjabi Bhindi Masala to go with phulkas. Seriously, this recipe is a celebration of okra. A flavor packed bhindi dish where the spices bring out the sweetness of the okra while the dry mango powder lends a slight tangy touch.
Do not allow the bhindi to get mushy, it should hold shape yet soft on bite. Delectable flavor with soft texture, and a wonderful change from the usual okra.
Punjabi Bhindi Masala Recipe
- Okra - 1/4 kg (bhindi/bendakaya), wash, dry, trim the ends and cut into 1" pieces
- Onions - 1, finely chopped
- Tomato - 1, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chili paste - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
- Amchur powder - 1/4 tsp (dried mango powder)
- Kasuri Methi - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - pinch
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves - for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a cooking vessel, add the okra/bhindi and saute on low to medium flame for 8 mts. Remove from the vessel and keep aside.
- In the same vessel, add the remaining oil. Once hot, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add chopped onions and green chili paste and saute for 4 mts.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, amchur powder and kasuri methi and mix.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for 6-7 mts on low to medium flame with lid.
- Add the okra and mix well. Cook without lid for 10 mts. Add salt to taste and garam masala powder and mix. Turn off heat.
- Remove onto a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with rice or rotis.
- Kasuri Methi is an optional ingredient.
- You can add 1/4 tsp of Kitchen King Masala for a slight variation in flavor.
- Ensure you wash and dry the okra before chopping it. Do not place lid while cooking bhindi.
Punjabi Bhindi Masala recipe is a celebration of okra. A flavor packed bhindi dish where the spices bring out the sweetness of the okra while the dry mango powder lends a slight tangy touch.