We make coconut chutney at home often, twice a week at least. Satish relishes a hotel style coconut chutney recipe that I prepare. Its only recently that I chanced upon this recipe thanks to my aunt who made it on a visit to her home. I am not sure of its origins but this recipe is a WINNER and am sure you are going to love it.
The key is use fresh coconut gratings and not to go over board with the spices. Subtly spiced and tempering with curry leaves gives the coconut chutney all the charm it needs to be your favorite side with dosa and idli.
Hotel Style Coconut Chutney Recipe
- Coconut - 1 cup, freshly grated
- Dalia - fistful, (roasted chickpeas/putnala pappu)
- Green Chilies - 2-3 (preferably light green variety)
- Ginger - 1/2" inch
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - a sprig
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Grind fresh coconut, roasted chickpeas, green chilies, ginger, garlic and salt to a smooth paste adding very little water. Remove onto a serving bowl.
- Heat oil for tempering in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add curry leaves and turn off heat. Pour the tempering over the chutney.
- Serve this hotel style coconut chutney along side idli or dosa.
- Garlic is optional.
- Fresh coconut is essential for the best flavor.
- Scrape out the outer brown layer of the coconut for a white colored coconut chutney.
Hotel style coconut chutney recipe – Subtly spiced and tempering with curry leaves gives the coconut chutney all the charm it needs to be your favorite side with dosa and idli.