Today, I present an absolute winner of a recipe, Chettinad tomato chutney. Chutney aka Pachadi is a revered dish in our home and my blog is testimony to it. Chutney recipes are numerous with various permutations and combinations. I do not follow any particular chutney recipe as such when I venture out to make a pachadi. I just add a twist to an original chutney recipe by tweaking it and a new chutney flavor is born.
I wanted to make an authentic Chettinad tomato chutney to go with idli for breakfast and went about searching through my large collection of hand written recipes for one. I found a couple of chettinad chutney recipes but was not sure how authentic they were but settled for this particular chutney recipe as I liked the list of ingredients that went into its making. I’m glad I made it. Its the coconut milk which elevates the flavor of the tomato chutney. Spicy with slight tang and sweet notes, Chettinad tomato chutney is sensational and a keeper.
Chettinad Tomato Chutney
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 4
- Onion - 1, finely sliced
- Tomatoes - 2 large, sliced
- Chana dal - 1 1/2 tbsps (Bengal gram/senaga pappu)
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Green chilies - 1
- Ginger - 1/2 " finely minced
- Coconut milk - 3-4 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil - 1/2 tbsp
- For tempering/poppu/tadka:
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilies - 2
- Curry leaves - a sprig
- Asafoetida - pinch
- Heat oil in a vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce flame, add chana dal, red chilies and green chili and saute till the dal turns light brown. Remove the dal, green chili and red chilies from oil and keep aside to cool.
- In the same oil, add the onions and ginger and saute till transparent, approx 3-4 mts. Add the tomatoes and saute for 9-10 mts on low to medium flame. Turn off heat and cool.
- Blend the cooled ingredients (dals, chilies, tomatoes and onions) along with salt and coconut milk to a fine paste. Remove onto a serving bowl.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida and turn off heat.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and serve with idli or dosa.
Published: Made Chettinad Tomato Chutney with idli for our breakfast today. I try to prepare a new variety of chutney recipe for idli and dosa.
Made Chettinad Tomato Chutney with idli for our breakfast today. I try to prepare a new variety of chutney recipe for idli and dosa.