Gobi Masala ~ Gobi Recipes North Indian style
Gobi is a favorite in our home and come winter, we buy cauliflower like there is no tomorrow. Learning how to cook Gobi is essential to truly relish its distinctive taste and texture. Almost all my cooking of gobi recipes involves dunking the gobi in salted hot water for at least 15 minutes before sauteing it till it forms a golden crust. Honestly, this process of blanching and sauteing does make a big difference in the overall flavor of the gobi dish I am making. The gobi dish I am talking about today is Gobi Masala with North Indian flavors. I have added matar aka fresh green peas as I love the combination of gobi and matar and would like to utilize winter vegetables to the fullest when in season. I served this flavorful vegetable curry with rotis along side Amritsari dal, yogurt and salad which made for a complete North Indian style meal.
Gobi Masala Recipe
- Cauliflower - half head, soak florets in salted hot water for 15 mts
- Fresh green peas - 1/3 cup (matar) (optional)
- Onion - 1, large, finely chopped
- Tomatoes - 1, medium, finely chopped
- Ginger – Green Chilli paste (2 or 3 green chilies+1/2" ginger piece)
- Curd - 1/4 cup, beaten
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili powder -1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri Methi - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 1/2 tbsps
- Make a paste:
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp (dry roast for 4 mts)
- Cashew nuts – 1/4 cup
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the drained cauliflower florets and saute on medium flame for 9 to 10 mts. Remove from the vessel and set aside.
- Grind the roasted poppy seeds and cashewnuts to a paste adding little water. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the finely chopped onions and saute for 4 mts. Add ginger green chili paste and saute for a mt. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 6-7 mts or till oil separates. Add the sauteed cauliflower and green peas and mix well. Cook for 4 mts with lid.
- Add the beaten curd and keep mixing till the oil separates. Add the ground paste along with a cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and place lid and cook for 18-20 mts or till you achieve the desired gravy consistency.
- Add garam masala and mix. Turn off flame and remove to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- You can garnish with fresh cream at the time of serving.
- If you want more gravy, increase poppy seeds by 1/2 tsp and add 2 cups of water instead of one cup.
Gobi Masala is a vegetable curry that makes for a good side with rotis. Add matar for added flavor. Learn easy gobi recipes cooked in North Indian style.