Paneer Tawa Masala
The other day I prepared Paneer Tawa Masala with phulkas for brunch. Last week, Nehal had a long unexpected break from school due to the bandh and breakfast was served pretty late in the mornings. Well, we had late nights and lazy mornings.
Every now and then, I try to make a special paneer dish to go with rotis, away from the routine palak paneer or paneer butter masala. The possibilities with paneer are endless and I always look forward to try new and exciting flavors. Paneer Tawa Masala, is a simple, easy to put together special dish. It is a combination of sweet and tangy flavors with a creamy textured sauce. Serve this restaurant style vegetarian delight with phulka or naan.
Paneer Tawa Masala Recipe
- Paneer - 1/4 kg, cubed, place in warm water for 10 mts and drain
- Curd - 1 tbsp (yogurt) optional
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Carom seeds - 1/2 tsp (vaamu/ajwain)
- Kasoori methi - 1 1/2 tsps, crushed
- Onion - 1, large, finely chopped
- Ginger - 1/2", finely minced
- Green chili paste - 1 tsp (grind 2 green chilis to a paste)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - pinch
- Tomato puree - 1/2 cup
- Fresh cream - 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsps
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Oil - 2 1/2 tbsps
- Marinate paneer in curd, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder and 1/2 tsp kasoori methi for 10-15 mts.
- Heat a pan, drizzle 1/2 tbsp oil and shallow fry the paneer pieces for 3 mts tossing the contents well. Do not burn them. Turn off flame and remove to a plate.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once hot, add cumin seeds and carom seeds and allow to splutter. Add chopped onions and saute for 5 mts. Add minced ginger and green chili paste and saute for 2 mts.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and kasoori methi and mix well. Add tomato puree and cook for 6-7 mts or till oil separates.
- Add the roasted paneer pieces to the onion-tomato mixture and mix well. Add half a cup of water and cook for 5-7 mts on low to medium flame.
- Add garam masala powder and fresh cream and mix well. Add lemon juice and mix well and turn off flame.
- Remove to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve with roti or naan.
- Capsicum can also be added. Chop capsicum into 1/2" pieces and saute them like paneer pieces and follow rest of the recipe.
- If you do not have carom seeds, omit them.
Paneer Tawa Masala, a restaurant style paneer dish that is simple and tasty. Quick and easy recipes using paneer especially preparaed for special occasions.