Semiya Recipes – Semiya Pulao
The quick fix breakfast meals during week days for Nehal are usually ragi porridge, oats porridge, museli with milk, boiled eggs and mixed nuts which to me are the most easy to cook recipes for breakfast. Breakfast dishes which need elaborate preparation usually are reserved for holidays and weekends.
Semiya Pulao is one such recipe that requires a bit of preparation and is reserved for the weekends. There are many Semiya recipes that serve as great tiffin items for kids and each time I try to make an attempt to try something different. But few semiya recipes like Semiya Pulao will always remain a favorite. Very similar to how one would go about making a vegetable pulao except that rice is substituted with roasted vermicelli. Ghee aka clarified butter is an important ingredient during the tempering process along with fresh mint leaves and spices like cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and fennel seeds that give the semiya pulao an irresistible aroma and flavor that is beyond words.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 4
- mixed vegetables
- Vermicelli - 2 cups, semiya - roast in 2 tsps ghee on low to medium flame till golden brown
- Onion - 1, large, sliced
- Carrot - 1, medium sized, peeled and cubed
- French beans - 5, nip ends and cut into 1/2" pieces
- Potato - 1, medium sized, peeled and cubed
- Green peas - fistful (optional)
- Mint leaves - 12-15 leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1"
- Green cardamom - 1
- Bay leaf - 1, optional
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp, optional
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp, heaped
- Water - 3 1/2 cups (hot)
- Salt to taste
- Make a paste:
- Fresh coconut - 2 tbsps
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Ginger - 1/2" piece
- Green chilies - 2-3 (adjust to suit spice level)
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel, add ghee+oil, once its hot, add cumin seeds and allow to brown. Add cinnamon stick, caradamom, cloves and bay leaf and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and saute for 4 mts. Add mint leaves and ground paste and saute for 3 mts.
- Add mixed vegetables and saute 8-10 mts. Remove lid and mix well.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and green peas (if using) mix well. Add 3 1/2 cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame, place lid and cook till the semiya and vegetables are cooked.
- Remove lid, mix well. Remove the semiya pulao to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- You can add 3 1/4 cups hot water and 1/4 cup thick coconut milk.
- Toasted cashew nuts can also be added for a richer flavor.
- You can omit whole spices like cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and add a large pinch of garam masala powder at the time for sauteing the vegetables.
- If you do not have coconut on hand, omit it and follow rest of recipe. Add 2 tbsp of milk to the ground paste in place of fresh coconut.
Published: Among Semiya recipes one thats tasty is Semiya Pulao. This veg based pulao is among easy to cook recipes for breakfast and a good tiffin for kids lunch box.
Among Semiya recipes one thats tasty is Semiya Pulao. This veg based pulao is among easy to cook recipes for breakfast and a good tiffin for kids lunch box.