Egg Roast ~ Nadan Kerala Style
This egg roast recipe comes straight from the kitchen of a Keralite home cook par excellence. I happened to relish it at a friend’s home during a visit to Kerala last year. His mother served Nadan (traditional home style) egg roast over a bed of pure white lacy appams which was polished off the plate in minutes. She was amused with my enthusiasm to learn more about the egg roast which according to her is really not much of a recipe. I love this Kerala style egg dish for the immense flavor and simplicity of the recipe and it goes to my list of favorite Indian egg recipes. The onions need to be sliced and not chopped and the egg roast does use a lot of onions. The onions need to be caramalized to a light brown shade before adding the spices. You could add few tablespoons of coconut milk towards the end of the cooking process to mellow down the kick of the fiery spices like black pepper and red chili powder.
Kerala Egg Roast Recipe
- Eggs - 4, hard boil, peel and make small slits lengthwise
- Onion - 2, large, sliced
- Green chilies - 2, slit
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 2, large, chopped
- Red chili powder - 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper power - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - pinch
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2-3 tbsps
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add sliced onions and green chilies and saute for 7-8 mts. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 4 mts.
- Add curry leaves, red chili powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and salt and mix.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and saute for 6 mts. Add 1/4 cup of water and boiled eggs, place lid and simmer for 8-9 mts.
- Remove lid , add garam masala powder and continue to cook for 2-3 mts and turn off flame. Remove to a serving bowl. Serve with appam, idiyappam or chapati.
- 2-3 tbsps of fresh coconut milk can be added at the end of the cooking process to reduce the spice.
Egg roast with Appam is the best breakfast food combination among Kerala style recipes. Nadan egg roast is flavorful and one of the best Indian egg dishes.