Kerala Vegetable Stew

Vegetable Stew

vegetable stew recipe
Appam with Vegetable Stew ~ Kerala Breakfast Food

Vegetable stew aka ‘Ishtu’ is traditional Kerala style dish served with Appam. Minimal ingredients and the simplicity of the recipe is what wins you over. A delicately flavored stew where the spices do not over power the natural flavor of the vegetables. The addition of aromatic whole spices, ginger and fresh coconut milk enhance the natural flavor of the vegetables by leaps and bounds. The crucial ingredient is fresh coconut milk which lends a sweet flavor that is perfectly balanced with the spice of crushed peppercorns.

There are some subtle variations to the basic ‘ishtu’ recipe based on the regional preferences. Even the color of the stew varies from white to hues of turmeric yellow based on the ingredients that go into its making. One of the best Kerala style vegetarian recipes that is healthy, easy to make and outright delicious. And when paired with Appam, it makes for a filling and wholesome breakfast.

vegetable stew

• Curry leaves - a sprig
  • Cinnamon stick - 1" stick
  • Green cardamom - 2
  • Cloves - 2
  • Thin coconut milk - 1 1/4 cups
  • Thick coconut milk - 3/4 cup
  • Cashew nuts - 4, grind to a paste with few tbsps water (optional)
  • Black pepercorns - 5-6, crushed
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil - 1 tbsp (or ghee)

1. Heat oil or ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon and saute for a few seconds. Add sliced onions, grated ginger and green chillies and saute for 3 mts. Do not brown them.
  2. Add the cubed potatoes, carrots, french beans and salt. Saute for 4 mts. Add 1/2 cup water and cover and cook for 6 mts.
  3. Add the think coconut milk and continue to cook on low-medium flame till the vegetables are almost cooked. Mash a few potato cubes to thicken the gravy.
  4. Adjust salt, crushed black peppercorns, cashew nut paste, thick coconut milk and curry leaves. Simmer without lid for 3-4 mts and turn off flame.

• You can parboil the vegetables and reduce the quantity of thin coconut milk as well as cooking time while cooking the par boiled vegetables.
  • Cashew nuts are purely optional. I have not used cashew nuts in the above recipe.
  • Cauliflower and green peas can also be added.
  • Ginger is essential for the stew. Do not omit it.
  • Coconut oil is generally used to make the stew. I use olive oil.

Vegetable Stew recipe is a healthy, easy and quick to make dish among Kerala recipes.This vegetarian dish is served with Appam, Kerala style white pancakes.

1. Sharada says:

Hi Sailaja garu,

I make similar stew. I use for poori. Yours looks good also I learned today how to make thin stew.

Thanks

2. Soma says:

Looks very similar to avial but I can see it’s a little different. Looks tempting.

3. Mahima says:

Turned out splendid! My first attempt at South Indian cooking, thanks Sailu! I follow a lot of your North Indian recipes too.
    Mahima

4. Jayanthi says:

is it only me, I cant see the recipe details

5. raw says:

Oh no where did the recipe go?

6. Anita says:

Oh oh! Where is the recipe?

7. Daws says:

Curry leaves – a sprig
    Cinnamon stick – 1″ stick
    Green cardamom – 2
    Cloves – 2
    Thin coconut milk – 1 1/4 cups
    Thick coconut milk – 3/4 cup
    Cashew nuts – 4, grind to a paste with few tbsps water (optional)
    Black pepercorns – 5-6, crushed
    Salt to taste
    Oil – 1 tbsp (or ghee)
    Cauliflower and green peas can also be added.
    Ginger is essential for the stew. Do not omit it.
    Coconut oil is generally used to make the stew. I use olive oil.

8. Daws says:

For some reason’s recipe has gone missing. See my previous comment for the recipe. :)