Raw Banana Kofta
The summer heat with high humidity is unbearable and spending time in the kitchen is not an enjoyable task anymore. News of an early monsoon is like music to the ears. Last week, we went for a pot luck dinner for which I made a vegetarian dish using raw banana (plantain). Though I cook raw banana recipes often, I realised that only few of them have made to the blog. Raw Banana Kofta aka Kela Kofta is a classic among North Indian vegetarian recipes usually served on special occasions. Though its a labor intensive dish its worth the time and effort due to its great flavor. The dumplings (raw banana kofta) can be served as an appetizer or can be simmered in a rich gravy and served as a main course dish.
The warming gravy aka sauce adds that magic touch which pulls the dish together and makes for an excellent side with flavored rice or rotis. Serve the raw banana kofta curry with pulao and you have a special meal on hand.
Raw Banana Kofta
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 4
- raw banana
- For Koftas:
- Raw bananas - 2, boil in 3 cups water till soft
- Paneer - 3 tbsps (grated) optional
- Onion - 1, small, very finely chopped
- Besan - 1 tbsp
- Ginger - Green chili paste - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder - pinch
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil - for deep frying koftas
- For Gravy:
- Cinnamon stick - 1"
- Cardamom - 1
- Onion - 1, finely chopped
- Tomato - 1, large, pureed
- Green chillies-ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - pinch
- Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsps
- Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Cashew - 10 (soak in 1/4 cup milk for 15 mts and grind to a paste)
- Fresh cream - 1 tbsp for garnish (or malai/top of milk)
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsps
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Cut the end of the raw bananas. Cut each raw banana into two pieces. Do not peel the skin. Boil them 4 cups of water along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder on low to medium flame. It will take approx 20-30 mts based on the size of the raw bananas. Insert a knife into the raw banana and if it goes through smoothly then its cooked till soft. Turn off heat and drain the water. Cool and peel the raw bananas and grate them.
- In a bowl, add the grated raw banana, chopped onions, grated paneer, ginger green chili paste, coriander powder, amchur powder, coriander leaves, besan and salt. Mix well and if necessary add another tbsp of besan to bind the mixture such that you can make small lime sized balls (koftas). Make small koftas and keep aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, reduce flame to medium and place the balls gently into the hot oil. Deep fry to a golden brown shade and remove into a bowl lined with absorbent paper. Keep aside and make the gravy.
- To prepare the gravy, heat oil in a cooking vessel. Add the cinnamon stick and cardamom and allow to splutter. Add the chopped onions and saute for 6 mts. Add ginger green chili paste and saute for a mt. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and salt and mix. Add tomato puree and cook for 8 mts. Add cashew nut paste and cook for 3 mts.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and simmer for 7-8 mts or till it reaches the desired curry consistency. Turn off heat.
- To serve the kofta curry, place the koftas in a deep bowl and pour the gravy over the koftas till submerged. Allow to sit for 7-10 mts and serve warm. Garnish with fresh cream and fresh coriander leaves.
- For ginger green chilies paste, grind 3 green chilies and 1/2"ginger.
Published: Raw Banana Kofta, a classic among North Indian vegetarian recipes, goes well with pulao or rice. One of the best raw banana recipes for a special occasion.
Raw Banana Kofta, a classic among North Indian vegetarian recipes, goes well with pulao or rice. One of the best raw banana recipes for a special occasion.