Paneer Jalfrezi is a colorful, healthy Indian Vegetarian dish and a classic among paneer recipes. A low calorie paneer dish that has contrasting textures with melt in the mouth soft paneer and the bell peppers provide a flavorful crunch. It makes for a wonderful filling with wraps and a good side dish with rotis. There are a few variations to Paneer Jafrezi recipe but the one I am posting today is the one I like to hang on to and make pretty often.
You could saute the paneer in oil or ghee till golden brown before adding to the vegetables or use paneer that has been dunked in warm water for 15 minutes. And please do not omit roasted fenugreek powder aka kasuri methi when making this easy vegetarian dish.
Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe
- Paneer - 1/4 kgs, cut into long pieces (1 1/2" length), place in warm water till use
- Onion - 1, medium, finely sliced
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Red Capsicum - 1/2 (optional), julienne
- Green Capsicum - 1, julienne
- Baby corn - 4, cut diagonally into 1" pieces (optional)
- Carrot - 1, peel and julienne
- Beans - 3, cut diagonally into 1" pieces (optional)
- Tomato - 1, deseed and slice into long strips
- Tomato puree - 1/4 cup
- Tomato ketchup - 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - pinch
- Kasuri Methi - 1/2 tsp, crushed
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once hot, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add sliced onions and saute for 5 mts. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, kasuri methi, coriander powder and salt. Mix well. Add tomato puree and cook for 3 mts. Add sliced beans, carrots and cook for 5 mts on low to medium flame. Mix once in a while.
- Add tomato ketchup and mix. Add capsicum pieces and cook on low to medium flame for 5 mts. Mix once in a while.
- Add the paneer pieces and tomato pieces and mix well. Sprinkle 3-4 tbsps of water and mix well. Cook for 4-5 mts on medium high flame tossing the contents.
- Finally add garam masala and lemon juice and mix well. Turn off flame and remove to a serving bowl. Serve with warm rotis or as filling for wraps.
- Capsicum and tomatoes are essential ingredients while carrot, beans and baby corn are optional.
- Lemon juice can be substituted with amchur powder (1/2 tsp).
- Paneer pieces can be sauteed in 2-3 tsps oil till lightly brown before adding to the jalfrezi.
- Kalonji or nigella seeds (1/2 tsp) can be added along with cumin seeds at the time of tempering.
Paneer Jalfrezi is a tasty Indian vegetarian dish that goes well with wraps or rotis. Like most Paneer recipes, its healthy, simple, quick and flavorful.