Have you tried making chocolate at home? Yes, I’m talking about homemade chocolate! Making chocolate at home is not a tedious process as many assume. There are many methods to make this chocolate recipe but the one which works great for me is the sugar syrup method. Preparing the sugar syrup to one string consistency is crucial to a successful batch of homemade chocolate.
Milk powder and cocoa powder are the other important ingredients that go into the making of homemade chocolate. One can add different flavors like chocolate essence, vanilla essence, cinnamon or espresso. I have not added any nuts or flavors. Crushed pistachios, pecans or almonds make for a good choice. Alternately, you can roll the finished chocolate in desiccated coconut or colored sprinkles. During festivals like Diwali and Christmas, homemade chocolates make for excellent edible gifts. Wrap the chocolates in pretty colored papers and gift them to family, friends or your Valentine.
Next time you crave chocolate, stop rushing to your nearby store to pick up your favorite bar and instead make your own homemade chocolate.
Homemade Chocolate Recipe
- Cocoa powder - 5 tbsps
- Milk powder - 1 1/4 cups
- Butter - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 2/3 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Sieve milk powder and cocoa powder and keep aside.
- Heat water and sugar in a vessel and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and continue cooking till the syrup reaches one string consistency. Add the butter and mix well till it melts and blends with the syrup. Turn off heat.
- Add the cocoa-milk powder mixture gradually (a few tbsps at a time) and mix well till glossy. Grease square pan or plate. Pour the mixture into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula allow to set for 10 to 15 mts at room temperature.
- Place in fridge for 10-15 mts. Remove from fridge and use a cookie cutter to cut into desired shape.
- Wrap them in colored papers and gift to family and friends.
- You can add crushed nuts of your choice.
- You can add 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence at the time of adding butter. Alternately, 2 tsps of strong coffee mixture can be added.
- If using cinnamon, add 1/4 tsp to the cocoa-milk mixture and sieve.
- To check for one string consistency of sugar syrup - allow the sugar to dissolve in water. Continue to cook the syrup on low flame. It will begin to thicken. When you touch the syrup between your forefinger and thumb, a thin string will form and it should not break. If it breaks, the syrup should simmer for a little while longer.
Homemade Chocolate is an easy recipe and is a great kids snack. Learn how to make homemade chocolate and other fun chocolate recipes with cocoa powder.