Akki Roti – Ellu Pajji
Nestled in the Western Ghats, Coorg is one of the most beautiful places in South India and a traveler’s must see destination. The Kodavas are born foodies, warm and hospitable people. During my boarding school days, I was fortunate to have good friends who belonged to Coorg. I learnt a lot about their culture, traditional attire, age old customs that are followed to date, rich cuisine, the tea and coffee estates including spice plantations. Last summer we had a memorable trip to Coorg. It was absolutely rejuvenating and we were treated to some scrumptious traditional Kodava cuisine.
I tried to replicate a popular breakfast fare that we relished during our stay in Coorg ~ Akki Otti (aka roti) served with Ellu Pajji (sesame seeds chutney) and drizzled with honey. Akki Roti is basically a flat bread prepared with cooked rice and rice flour and Ellu Pajji is a nutty flavored roasted sesame seeds chutney.
Akki Roti – Ellu Pajji ~ Rice Roti with Sesame seeds Chutney Recipe
- For Akki Otti/Roti:
- Cooked rice - 3 cups (fresh cooked rice is best)
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Rice flour for dusting while rolling ooti/roti
- For Ellu Pajji:
- Sesame seeds - 1/3 cup (ellu/til/nuvvulu)
- Grated coconut - 1/3 cup
- Shallots - 2, roast over fire till skin darkens (sambar onions) remove the skin (optional)
- Green chilies - 3 or 4
- Tamarind paste - 3/4 tbsp
- Jaggery - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- To prepare Akki Roti: In a wide plate, knead the cooked rice with salt till smooth and soft. Add rice flour, a little at a time and continue kneading until the dough is like roti dough consistency. There is no need to add water.
- Make lemon sized balls and keep aside covered. Roll out rotis dusting with rice flour. Heat a cast iron tawa, plae rice roti and roast on medium high flame for a mt on one side. Flip over to the other side and cook for a mt or so. Use a clean cloth to press the roti gently along the edges so that it puffs. Remove from the tawa and place over direct flame for a few seconds so that it puffs fully.
- Place the rotis in a bowl that has been lined with a cotton cloth. The rotis taste best when eaten hot off the pan.
- To prepare Ellu Pajji Grind all the ingredients called for to make Ellu Pajji to make a slightly coarse paste. It need not be very smooth paste. Its best to use a grinding stone to make the chutney but you can use your mixer grinder to make the chutney.
- It is best to use freshly cooked rice. Alternately, you can use left over rice as well.
- Shallots are optional for sesame seeds chutney
Akki roti with Ellu pajji is a classic breakfast dish among Kodava food recipes. Rice roti is served with roasted sesame seeds chutney and a dash of honey.