Paneer is a versatile ingredient and does well in both savory and sweet avatars. There are numerous Indian snacks recipes that can be prepared using paneer and one such classic appetizing tea time snack or a rainy day treat is Paneer Pakora. Just a handful of ingredients go into its making with minimal work. Soft, melt in the mouth cottage cheese is dipped in spiced chick pea batter and deep fried to a golden brown shade. Its a good idea to blanch paneer pieces for a few minutes so that they soften and then prepare paneer pakora.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 5
- Paneer - 1/4 kg, wash and slice into 1" pieces (1/4" thickness)
- Besan - 1 cup, (chickpea flour/senaga pindi)
- Rice flour - 2 tbsps
- Corn flour - 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Ajwain - 1/2 tsp (carrom seeds)
- Baking soda - pinch
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- Mix a cup of besan, rice flour, corn four, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, baking soda and salt and enough water to make a thick paste.
- Blanch paneer pieces for 5 mts in hot water and drain.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed vessel, dip each paneer piece in the prepared pakoda batter such that it is coated on all sides and place in the hot oil. Deep fry on medium flame to a golden brown shade and remove onto absorbent paper.
- Place on a serving plate and serve with tomato ketchup or green chutney and a cup of masala chai.
- You can sandwich two paneer pieces with green chutney and then dip in pakoda batter and deep fry.
- A tsp of green chili paste can be added to the pakoda batter and reduce red chili powder accordingly.
- The batter should not be runny or too thick. It should be just right that the paneer is coated well with the batter.
Published: Paneer Pakora is a tea time snack made with cottage cheese and besan. Learn how to make Indian snacks recipes that are easy to make with paneer.
Paneer Pakora is a tea time snack made with cottage cheese and besan. Learn how to make Indian snacks recipes that are easy to make with paneer.