I relish carrots and use them regularly in my cooking and often drink a glass of fresh carrot juice during the early part of the day. The fridge is always stocked with at least 2 pounds of this Vitamin A rich vegetable. Last week, I made a simple sesame flavored carrot fry that made for a delectable side with rice and sambar. I would rate as one of the best Indian vegetarian recipes using carrots.
This is a basic carrot fry recipe and you can play around with whatever ingredients you have on hand. I used toasted sesame seeds and coriander powder as the main spices which made for a good combination of flavors. You can add a dash of cumin powder and dry fenugreek leaves (methi) for a flavor variation. I would suggest using curry leaves during the tempering process as they lend a unique aroma to the carrot fry.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 4
- Carrots - 2, large, peeled and cut into small pieces
- Asafoetida - pinch (optional)
- Green chilies - 2 or 3, slit length wise
- Ginger - 1/2", grated
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsps
- Toasted sesame seeds - 2 tbsps, lightly crushed
- Red chili flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once hot, add the curry leaves, green chilies, asafoetida and ginger and saute for 5 to 6 seconds. Add the chopped carrots and mix.
- Cook without lid on medium flame for 4 to 5 mts, mixing the contents once in a while. Reduce flame, add salt and cook till the carrots are soft, approx 25 mts.
- Remove lid, add the coriander powder and mix. Cook for 2 to 3 mts. Add the crushed toasted sesame seeds and crushed red chili flakes and mix.
- Turn off flame and remove into a serving bowl. Serve warm with rice or rotis.
- During tempering, you can add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp split gram dal.
- If you do not have crushed red chili flakes, add 1/2 tsp red chili powder at the time of adding coriander powder.
Published: Carrot fry, a gem among Vegetarian Indian recipes with minimal ingredients. A healthy carrot dish that is rich is vitamin A and calcium.
Carrot fry, a gem among Vegetarian Indian recipes with minimal ingredients. A healthy carrot dish that is rich is vitamin A and calcium.