Chicken Ghee Roast
A Mangalorean delicacy, Chicken Ghee Roast, is a classic recipe among South Indian chicken dishes. Its origins go back to a small town, Kundapur, close to Mangalore. You will find this exotic chicken dish on almost every Mangalore restaurant menu. Fiery red, tangy and spicy with an unmistakable flavor of ghee roasted spices, this authentic home style chicken dish is not for the faint heart. Definitely a cold weather favorite that is sure to warm your palate as well as your heart.
Do not skimp on the ghee as it is the flavor of clarified butter that gives the dish its distinct flavor. One of the best Mangalore recipes that I have tried. I served the Chicken ghee roast with Ghee rice and sambar. Made for a delectable mid day meal.
Chicken Ghee Roast
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 5
- Chicken - 1 kg, bite sized pieces, washed
- Curd - 1/2 cup, thick yogurt
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery - 2 tsps (or sugar)
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Ghee - 6 tbsps
- Dry red chilies - 7 to 8, large (spicy variety)
- Dry red chilies - 3 (small variety)
- Black peppercorns - 7-8
- Cloves - 3
- Fenugreek seeds - pinch
- Coriander seeds - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic flakes - 7-8
- Tamarind paste - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Marinate chicken in curd, turmeric powder, lemon juice and half a tsp of salt for a minimum of 2 to 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Dry roast the red chilies on low flame for 2 mts. Do not burn them. Remove from fire and keep aside. In the same pan, add a tsp of ghee and roast, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns on low flame for 3 minutes. Remove from fire and cool.
- Grind the roasted red chilies and spices along with garlic and tamarind to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 1/2 tbsps ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel, place the marinated pieces along with the marinade and cook for 20-22 mts or till its three foiurth cooked.
- Remove the sauteed chicken pieces and keep aside. Remove the remaining liquid into another bowl.
- In the same vessel, add the remaining ghee, and add the ground paste. Saute on low to medium flame for 8-9 mts to till the ghee separates.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Add the left over liquid (while cooking chicken) and jaggery and cook on medium flame for 4 mts. Add salt to taste and mix.
- Reduce flame, place lid and cook till the chicken is cooked and you have a thick coating of the masala to the chicken pieces. This is not a curry, its a roast dish.
- Remove lid, roast the chicken for 2-3 mts. Turn off flame, remove onto a serving bowl.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve with ghee rice, any flavored rice of your choice or white rice.
- If you do not have the small variety of dry red chilies, use 10 large dry red chilies. Those who can take the heat of the red chilies, can increase it to 14-15.
Published: There are quite a few chicken dishes among Mangalore recipes. But a culinary gem among them all is the Chicken Ghee Roast. Goes well with ghee rice.
There are quite a few chicken dishes among Mangalore recipes. But a culinary gem among them all is the Chicken Ghee Roast. Goes well with ghee rice.