Looking for a quick one pot meal that is healthy and tasty? Carrot Rice fits the bill. A great way to use left overs with a fuss free rice recipe.
I am gearing up for the holiday season with my son’s school closing for a month long winter vacation from Friday. I have been busy baking petite fruit cakes to be given away to family and friends. When I get busy baking, I tend to opt for quick meals using left overs that are filling for our mid day meal. My blog is home to a variety of Indian rice recipes using vegetables and Indian spices that work great for your lunch box or your kid’s tiffin. Adding to the growing list of such rice dishes is today’s Carrot Rice where the key ingredients are Kasuri Methi (roasted fenugreek leaves), whole garam masala spices and fresh coriander leaves.
Carrot Rice Recipe
- Rice - 5 cups, cooked with each grain separate
- Carrots - 2, peel and grate
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig (optional)
- Bay leaf -1
- Cloves - 6
- Cinnamon stick - 1"
- Cardamoms - 2
- Onions - 2 (medium sized, finely sliced)
- Green chili-ginger-garlic paste - (1" ginger/2 cloves garlic/2 green chilies)
- Coriander leaves - 4-5 tbsps, finely chopped:
- Kasoori methi - 1/2 tsp (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Broken Cashew nuts - 2 tbsps
- Coriander leaves - 1 1/2 tbsps (finely chopped for garnish)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp (optional) vegan can omit ghee and substitute with oil
- Heat oil+ghee in a vessel or pressure cooker, add cashew nuts and toast till golden. Remove the cashew nuts and keep aside.
- In the same cooking vessel, add cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms and stir fry till they splutter. Add the sliced onions and saute for 3 mts. Add green chili-ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves, coriander leaves and kasoori methi and saute for 4 mts.
- Add the grated carrot and cook for 7-8 mts on low to medium. Add coriander powder and mix. Add salt to taste and mix.
- Reduce heat, add the cooked rice and mix. Cook on low flame for 3 mts.
- Remove onto a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and toasted cashew nuts. Serve warm with raita or any curry of your choice.
- You can add 1/4 tsp garam masala powder.
- You can add either cashew nuts or peanuts.
I have blogged a variety of quick rice recipes with vegetables but a winner among all of them is Carrot rice. Learn how to make carrot rice recipe.