Chocolate Mud Cake
Christmas is here and my oven is put to maximum use this festive month. I have started my Christmas baking and am enjoying preparing festive treats for family and friends. The perfect time to pamper yourself and your loved ones. Well, its been a while since I prepared a rich chocolate cake and I have been craving for one. A perfect occasion presented itself over the weekend when we had guests over for dinner. I prepared a decadent easy dessert recipe, Chocolate Mud Cake with Chocolate frosting.
The mud cake turned out moist, dense and rich which my family and guests absolutely LOVED. I loved the addition of coffee which added a depth of flavor to the chocolate mud cake.
I used chocolate frosting to adorn the cake but it tastes good on its own too.
Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe
- All purpose flour - 2 cups + 2 tbsps
- Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup + 2 tsps
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Castor sugar - 2 1/2 cups
- Dark Chocolate - 100 gms, grated or cut into small pieces
- Milk chocolate - 100 gms, grated or cut into small pieces
- Butter - 1 cup + 2 tbsps, softened and at room temp
- Instant Coffee powder - 1 tbsp mixed in 3/4 cup of hot water
- Eggs - 4
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsps
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Buttermilk - 1/2 cup
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- Butter - 1/4 cup, softened and room temp
- Cocoa powder - 1/3 cup
- Powdered sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- Milk - 2 1/4 tbsps
- Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Grease three 6" round cake pans or two 9" round pans and line with parchment paper, extending the paper at least an inch above the top rim of the pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over double boiler. Add the coffee mixture and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt over a large bowl.
- Add the castor sugar to the bowl and mix/whisk the ingredients together until well combined.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs till light. Add vegetable oil, vanilla and buttermilk and whisk well until well combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Add the cooled melted chocolate mixture to the egg and flour mixture in three batches, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Divide the cake batter equally into the three prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check from 55 mts onwards. Insert a tooth pick or knife into the center of the cake to test whether it is cooked. If the knife comes out clean the cake is ready. Remove cake from oven, cover with a kitchen towel and allow to cool in the pan.
- When the cake has cooled to room temperature, remove from the pan.
- Prepare the chocolate frosting. Mix butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract and beat with an electric mixer till creamy. Start on low speed and beat on medium high speed for 4 mts.
- Spread the frosting over cake using a palette knife and give it a swirl.
- Slice and serve.
- You can use 200 gms of dark chocolate instead of 100 gms dark chocolate and 100 gms of white chocolate.
- I used Morde brand chocolate.
- Double boiler method - Heat a cup of water in a deep bowl on low to medium flame. Place the grated chocolate in another steel bowl and place over the bowl of simmering water. The base of the chocolate bowl should not touch the water. Allow the chocolate to melt by stirring it and ensure that no moisture or water comes in contact with the chocolate or else it will seize.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
With the Christmas season here, I have an easy dessert recipe, Chocolate Mud Cake for you. Easy to make chocolate cake that kids will enjoy.