One of the best tried and tested butter cake recipe that I have made with success. Makes for a light, fluffy, moist yet firm cake that works great for a fondant icing celebration cake. You can marble the cake by adding two tablespoons of cocoa powder to half of the batter and create a ripple effect to your cake. In fact, the cake does not need any icing and tastes great on its own.
You can try adding different flavorings instead of the usual vanilla flavor to this cake recipe with butter. Lemon zest, orange zest, nutmeg, cardamom or cinnamon powder work great as flavorings. This cake works well with any sort of frosting, be it chocolate frosting, buttercream, ganache or any flavored glaze. Sometimes, I like to layer the cake and spread jam, which my son enjoys.
An easy to put together recipe for a butter cake that has a feather light crumb, not overly sweet and one that is sure to win the hearts of your friends and family.
Basic Butter Cake Recipe
- Butter - 1 cup + 4 tbsps (unsalted and softened)
- Castor Sugar - 1 3/4 cups
- Vanilla Essence - 2 tsps
- Eggs - 4
- Maida - 2 1/2 cups (all purpose flour)
- Baking powder - 2 tsps
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Milk - 2/3 cup
- Buttermilk - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line two 8" cake pans with baking/parchment paper.
- Sieve all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Add salt and whisk together. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, cream butter, castor sugar and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to combine. Add the buttermilk and beat for 10 seconds.
- Add the flour, a few tbsps at a time. Use a wooden spoon to combine. Next add a little milk and stir to combine. Repeat with remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour.
- Divide the cake batter equally into the two greased and lined pans. Bake for 55 mts to an hour or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. (Check from 50 mts onwards) Allow to stand in pan for 10 mts.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool for 30 mts.. Slice and serve.
- You can make your own castor sugar at home by grinding granulated white sugar till it appears like very tiny granules. Sugar should not become like a fine powder. It should be coarse on touch.
- All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Butter should be very soft and at room temperature. None of the ingredients should be cold.
- If you do not have 2 cake pans of the same size, bake one round cake and use the remaining batter to make large cupcakes. The baking time for cupcakes is 15-20 mts. Check from 15 mts onwards.
- The quantity of castor sugar can be increased by 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
A simple recipe for a butter cake that is tried and tested. A never fail cake recipe with butter that your family and friends will love.