I got back home yesterday after a short trip to Hyderabad and am down with a bad sore throat. Sipping on loads of ginger tea and trying to find my blogging mojo. Looked through my drafts and found a couple of recipes that are blog worthy. One of them being a simple classic Andhra style vegetarian fry using cabbage, chana dal (bengal gram), coriander leaves and coconut. This cabbage fry is for all those readers who request for veg Indian food recipes that are quick to make and healthy.
This Andhra style veg recipe works best when you are in a rush and have to fix a quick nutrition rich meal. Cabbage fry fits the bill and you have a super satisfying stir fry side dish to go with rice, pepper rasam and papad. Makes for a comforting winter mid day meal.
Cabbage Fry ~ Cabbage Senagapappu Vepudu
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 4
- Cabbage - 1 head, shred finely
- Chana Dal - 1/4 cup, soak in water for half an hour
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Grind coarsely:
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 2
- Ginger - 1"
- Fresh coconut - 1/4 cup (grated)
- For tempering/poppu/tadka:
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida - pinch
- Oil - 1/2 tbsp
- In a vessel, add 1 1/2 cups of water, shredded cabbage, soaked chana dal, turmeric powder and pinch of salt and cook till cabbage is almost cooked. Drain any left over water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or cooking vessel. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add curry leaves and asafoetida and mix. Add the ground coconut-ginger-coriander leaves-green chili paste and cook for 3 mts.
- Add the almost cooked cabbage and chana dal and mix. Cook for 9-10 mts. Adjust salt.
- Turn off heat, remove onto a serving bowl. Serve warm with rice, rasam and papad.
Published: Among the classic recipes of Andhra, Cabbage fry stands out for simple flavors and easy preparation. Veg Indian food at its best with minimal spices.
Among the classic recipes of Andhra, Cabbage fry stands out for simple flavors and easy preparation. Veg Indian food at its best with minimal spices.