There couldn’t be a quicker breakfast oats recipe than Lemon Oats. A healthy, vibrant, tasty Indian recipe with oats that has lemon juice and peanuts as its star performers. The lemon juice works brilliantly with the oats, green chilies provide a spicy edge and crunch from the roasted peanuts makes it an absolutely scrumptious breakfast.
Those of you looking for new ways to spruce up your monotonous oatmeal breakfast routine, should give this oats recipe a try. Not only is it super quick to make, provides nutrition and is suitable to the Indian palate that enjoys the idli, dosa and upma breakfast fare.
Lemon Oats Recipe
- Oats - 1 cup, lightly dry roasted for 4 mts
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 1/4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Peanuts - fistful, roasted
- Oil - 2 tsps
- For tempering:
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Split gram dal - 1 tsp
- Bengal gram - 1 1/2 tsps
- Green chilies - 2, slit
- Red chilies - 1, tear and de-seed
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add the dals and allow to turn lightly red. Add green chilies, red chili, curry leaves and asafoetida and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and mix. Add water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add oats and mix. Reduce flame and place lid. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove lid, add lemon juice and mix well. Cook without lid for 4 more minutes, mixing once in a while.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve warm with yogurt or pickle.
Lemon Oats, similar to Lemon rice, makes for a healthy Indian breakfast dish. A favorite Indian recipe with oats, lemon and spices goes well with yogurt.