Cooking with oats can be quite challenging when trying to incorporate it into Indian style recipes. But there are a few Indian oats recipes that are just a breeze to make like today’s Oats Roti. All you need to do is add some powdered oats to the regular atta aka wheat flour along with a bit of chick pea flour. Addition of finely minced mixed vegetables and Indian spices powders like cumin and coriander yield flavorful rotis that go well with yogurt and pickle.
I served the Oats roti with an Andhra style onion potato curry which made a delectable side. And, I must mention that a generous amount finely minced fresh coriander melds well with the spices and gives a wonderful herb-y flavor to the roti.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 4
- wheat flour
- Wheat flour - 1 cup
- Oats - 3/4 cup, powdered
- Chick pea flour - 1/4 cup (Besan/Senagapindi)
- Carrot - 1, peeled and grated
- Onion - 1, small, finely chopped
- Green chili-ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 3 tbsps, finely chopped
- Coriander powder - 1 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - large pinch
- Salt to taste
- Yogurt - 1/4 cup (optional)
- Water as required
- Oil as required
- In a large bowl, mix all the above ingredients excluding oil. Add water few tablespoons at a time and make a soft dough. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Prepare rotis by rolling out a large lemon sized amount of dough on a flour dusted surface.
- Heat an iron or non-stick tawa. Once hot, place a roti and cook till it lightly turns color, filp over and cook the other side till light brown spots form.
- Drizzle ghee or oil all over the roti and roast to a nice golden brown shade on both the sides. Remove onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm with yogurt, pickle and curry of your choice.
- You can use mixed vegetables of your choice like very finely minced cabbage, cauliflower, spinach etc
- You can exclude vegetables and follow the above recipe. Add a pinch of garam masala and a tsp of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek) mix into the flour mixture before preparing the dough.
Published: Oats Roti (paratha) prepared with whole wheat flour, oats and spices. Try cooking with oats, a healthy Indian recipe that kids will enjoy with tomato sauce.
Oats Roti (paratha) prepared with whole wheat flour, oats and spices. Try cooking with oats, a healthy Indian recipe that kids will enjoy with tomato sauce.