Have you ever tried making upma with oats? Upma, a very common and quick South Indian breakfast dish, is not very popular unlike its counterpart, the famous Masala Dosa. People either love or hate Upma. I know of many kids and adults alike who hate to hear the phrase ‘upma for breakfast’. I don’t belong to that category, though. I like to eat upma occasionally.
I have prepared numerous recipes with oats in it, especially upma varieties – plain sooji upma, rice ravva upma or wheat rava upma. You just need to give it some thought and see how you can infuse oats into the original recipe. Plain Oats Upma has always turned out to my satisfaction. My family is not too fond of upma, eat it occasionally, but when I try to serve upma with oats in it, they are more than willing to try. I’m a happy lady.
I have for you an Andhra style oat upma recipe that is healthy, super quick and easy to make. I have added mixed vegetables to increase the nutrition quotient and a bit of whole garam masala spices to increase the flavor profile. Enjoyed every spoonful of the oats upma.
Oats Upma Recipe
- Oats - 1 cup, dry roast for 5 minutes and cool
- Carrot - 1, cubed
- French Beans - 5-6, string and chop into pieces
- Green peas - fistful (optional)
- Onion - 1, finely sliced
- Green Chilies - 2, slit
- Ginger - 1tsp (grated)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 tsps
- Oil - 2 tsps
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon Stick - small piece
- Star Anise - 1
- Cardamom - 1
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cashew nuts - 4-5
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add whole spices, cashew nuts and curry leaves and saute for a minute on low to medium flame.
- Add the onions, ginger and green chilies and saute for 4 mts. Add carrots and beans and saute on medium flame for 4 mts. Add turmeric powder and salt and mix.
- Place lid and cook on low flame for 6-7 mts. Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame, place lid and cook for 6-7 mts or till the water is half absorbed.
- Add the dry roasted oats and mix. Place lid for 3 minutes. Turn off heat and mix well.
- Remove onto a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm with pickle or chutney of your choice.
- Use any vegetable of your choice. Tomatoes make for a good addition.
- Vegans can avoid ghee.
- If you do not have whole garam masala spices, add a pinch of garam masala powder.
Oats Upma is one of the easiest and healthy Indian recipes using oats. How about an Andhra style oat upma recipe with vegetables that your kids will love?