Oats Upma

recipe for oats upma
Healthy Indian Breakfast ~ Upma with Oats

Oats Upma

Have you ever tried making upma with oats? Upma, a very common and quick South Indian breakfast dish, is not very popular unlike its counterpart, the famous Masala Dosa. People either love or hate Upma. I know of many kids and adults alike who hate to hear the phrase ‘upma for breakfast’. I don’t belong to that category, though. I like to eat upma occasionally.

I have prepared numerous recipes with oats in it, especially upma varieties – plain sooji upma, rice ravva upma or wheat rava upma. You just need to give it some thought and see how you can infuse oats into the original recipe. Plain Oats Upma has always turned out to my satisfaction. My family is not too fond of upma, eat it occasionally, but when I try to serve upma with oats in it, they are more than willing to try. I’m a happy lady. :)

I have for you an Andhra style oat upma recipe that is healthy, super quick and easy to make. I have added mixed vegetables to increase the nutrition quotient and a bit of whole garam masala spices to increase the flavor profile. Enjoyed every spoonful of the oats upma.

indian recipes with oats in it
Oats Upma

Oats Upma

1. oats
  2. mixed vegetables

• Oats - 1 cup, dry roast for 5 minutes and cool
  • Carrot - 1, cubed
  • French Beans - 5-6, string and chop into pieces
  • Green peas - fistful (optional)
  • Onion - 1, finely sliced
  • Cinnamon Stick - small piece
  • Star Anise - 1
  • Cardamom - 1
  • Bay Leaf - 1
  • Cashew nuts - 4-5
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig

1. Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add whole spices, cashew nuts and curry leaves and saute for a minute on low to medium flame.
  2. Add the onions, ginger and green chilies and saute for 4 mts. Add carrots and beans and saute on medium flame for 4 mts. Add turmeric powder and salt and mix.
  3. Place lid and cook on low flame for 6-7 mts. Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame, place lid and cook for 6-7 mts or till the water is half absorbed.
  4. Add the dry roasted oats and mix. Place lid for 3 minutes. Turn off heat and mix well.
  5. Remove onto a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm with pickle or chutney of your choice.

• Use any vegetable of your choice. Tomatoes make for a good addition.
  • Vegans can avoid ghee.
  • If you do not have whole garam masala spices, add a pinch of garam masala powder.

Oats Upma is one of the easiest and healthy Indian recipes using oats. How about an Andhra style oat upma recipe with vegetables that your kids will love?

1. Madhu says:

Healthy and delicious!! Thanks for sharing Sailu!

2. VMB says:

Are these instant oats ? what type of oats did you use? very nice recipe.

3. Kitchen Queen says:

Nice Recipe.

4. Anu says:

Thanks for the superb recipe Saliu. Tried it out this morning for breakfast and my family loved it! I have tried many recipes from your blog which have turned out great and
    let me not forget to mention that my son & my husband are your biggest fans!!

5. jagmohansethi@ymail.com says:

thanks pl let me give recipe for wheat allergic

6. lee shu-han says:

oh this looks so yummy! I love the colours in this! and it actually reminds me of a fried rice or rice pialf dish, but very interesting to see the use of oats this way, instead of your usual boring porridge! very cool tip on dry roasting oats first for more flavour, never thought of it, great one sailu x

7. shanthi says:

Looks delicious!! This is the way I want my oatmeal .I really don’t like sweet version we get here. Can i use any kind of oats?

8. the oats uppuma made the other day came out very well . everybody at home enjoyed a spl. breakfast

9. Prabha says:

Wow! The best recipe for oats upma. Everyone absolutely loved it. Thanks.

10. Ramkrisheee says:

Tried today… came super.. thaks for sharing:)

11. Sirisha says:

do we need to add more water or cook how much longer for old-fashioned oats(those are not precooked like instant oats are)?

12. Kavitha says:

I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfectly. I would recommend following every detail from this recipe before making any changes of your own. We all loved it.

13. Vani says:

Great recipe Sailu! I used quaker brand quick oats. I had to use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of oats. I think I scored some brownie points from my family for making this:-) Good work.

14. Neelima says:

Tried it.. It’s yum..!! Perfect taste..

15. Nithya says:

The recipe turned out great .. Thanks for your tips.. You have a brilliant looking photo of the upma

16. vikram says:

I tried this. But it the end it came out to be a paste. In the photo it appears very good. But oats became paste when I coocked the recipy. Do you have any idea how to cook it dry as shown in picture.

I prepared musterd seeds and peanuts in oil and allowed to splutter. Then added full cup of water, salt and turmeric powder. I added half cup of oats thereafter.

17. Aman Arora says: