Instant Oats Idli Recipe
Oats is a healthy way to kick start one’s day and I try to include it in our diet at least 3-4 times a week. I have noticed that hardly any Indian recipes with oats have made it to the blog even though oats are an integral part of our morning breakfast routine.
A couple of blog readers have been requesting for recipes using oats and I thought it would be a good idea to do a series of Indian oats recipes on similar lines to Chaat recipes that I did two years ago.
The highly nutritious, wholesome, high fiber, nutty and filling oatmeal is a regular breakfast fare for Nehal, either in the form of a savory vegetable broth or a fruit/yogurt porridge, which usually takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. Satish and I prefer our Indian-ized oatmeal avatars – upma, rava dosa, instant rava idli, ponganalu, pongal, uttappam, roti, bisi bele bath and the likes.
Using oats in Indian style recipes can be quite tricky as it tends to have a sticky texture, so its a good idea to dry roast the oats for a few minutes before using it. I usually dry roast a packet of oats and store it especially for Indian style recipes with oats. I’m kick starting the series with a favorite breakfast of mine, Instant Oats Idli recipe.
Instant Oats Idli Recipe
- Oats - 1 1/2 cups, dry roast for 4 minutes, cool and grind to a fine powder
- Semolina - 3/4 cup (sooji/upma rava)
- Yogurt - 1 cup (curd)
- Carrot - 1, peeled and grated
- Salt to taste
- Eno Salt - 1/2 tsp (or cooking soda)
- Water as required
- For Tempering/Poppu/Tadka:
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Split Black Gram Dal - 1 tsp (urad dal/minappapu)
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp (Hing)
- Green chilies - 2, finely chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves - 1-2 tbsps, finely chopped (optional)
- Oil - 2 tsps
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add mustard seeds and as they begin to splutter, add urad dal and let the dal turn red. Add chopped green chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a few seconds.
- Add grated carrot and saute for 2 mts. Add semolina/sooji and saute for 4 mts. Add coriander leaves and turn off heat. Cool.
- Add the ground roasted oats powder and salt to taste. Add the curd and mix. Add just enough water to make a thick dosa batter.
- Grease idli plates or a stainless steel cup. Add eno salt or cooking soda and mix well. Pour a ladle full of batter in each greased depression of the idli plates.
- Steam for 13-15 minutes. Serve warm with chutney of your choice.
- You can add vegetables of your choice - capsicum, cabbage, peas etc.
- Addition of toasted cashew nuts gives a richer taste.
- Addition of Eno Salt or Cooking soda yields fluffy idlis.
- Buttermilk can be substituted for water while preparing batter.
Instant Oats Idli is a healthy Indian breakfast recipe with oats, rava, carrot, yogurt and spices. Nutritious and tasty recipe using oats.