Yesterday, I made Spinach Sandwich which made for a hearty, filling, nutritious, tasty vegetarian meal. Very few and simple ingredients go into the making of this healthy sandwich recipe. This sandwich filling incorporates blanched and chopped spinach, onions, garlic, garam masala powder, black pepper and low fat cheese (can be replaced with paneer). Nehal enjoyed it so much that he asked me to make this sandwich again as an evening after school snack.
With the left over spinach filling, I made a quick sandwich for myself this morning. I spread some Middle eastern classic dip, hummus, on a brown bread slice, layered with spinach filling, grated paneer and lightly toasted the bread. It made for a delightfully delicious sandwich. Well, the variations are endless. Just go make yourself this sandwich. You will love it.
Spinach Sandwich Recipe
- Brown Bread slices
- Spinach, chopped - 2 cups, blanched for 2 mts
- Garlic - 4 cloves, crushed
- Onion, chopped - 1/4 cup
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala powder - small pinch
- Jaggery or sugar - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Paneer, grated - 4 tbsps
- Cooking oil - 1/2 tbsp
- Drizzle oil in a cooking vessel. Add crushed garlic and saute for few seconds. Add onions and saute for 4 mts.
- Add chopped spinach and saute for a minute. Add black pepper powder, garam masala powder, jaggery and salt. Turn off flame and cool.
- Toast brown bread on one side, layer with grated paneer, topped with spinach filling. Cover with another slice of brown bread and toast. Serve warm.
- You can add a layer of cheese slice, if you or your child likes cheese.
- Instead of garam masala powder, you can add Chaat masala or Kitchen King masala powder.
Spinach sandwich that is healthy, tasty and makes for a nutritious snack for kids and adults alike.