Chicken 65

recipe of chicken 65
Chicken 65

Chicken 65 recipe at last!

Isn’t that the reaction of many of you dear readers? :) I know that you have patiently waited for the recipe of chicken 65. There have been numerous requests for this chicken starter recipe and somehow I never got down to blogging it. This is one of the most popular Indian chicken starter recipe and being able to re-create restaurant style chicken 65 at home, successfully, gives one a high. A favorite appetizer in our home along with Chicken Manchurian. The key to this recipe is use of yogurt and sauteeing the fried chicken in spiced yogurt till the liquid is completely absorbed.

andhra style chicken 65
Chicken 65 Andhra Style

There are numerous theories doing the rounds on the internet on the origins of Chicken 65. Whatever the real story, must thank the creator of this delicious chicken starter recipe.

I am going on a short summer holiday in a while (an hour to be precise) :) and will see you all after the first week of June. Hope you are having a good summer break. :)

Chicken 65

1. boneless chicken

• Boneless chicken - 250 gms/1/4 kg (cut into small bite sized pieces)
  • Oil for deep frying
  • Yogurt - a little less than 1/2 cup (perugu/curd)
  • Salt to taste
  • Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
  • For Marinade:
  • Turmeric powder - large pinch
  • Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
  • Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
  • Lemon juice - 1/2 tbsp
  • Salt to taste
  • To coat chicken that has been marinated:
  • Egg - 1
  • Cornflour - 1 1/2 tbsp
  • Rice flour - 1/2 tbsp
  • For Tempering/poppu/tadka:
  • Cooking oil - 1/2 tbsp
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprg
  • Garlic - 2 cloves, minced (optional)
  • Ginger - 1/2", minced
  • Green chilies - 4-5, slit length wise

1. Marinate bite sized pieces of chicken in the ingredients called for marinade for 1 hour.
  2. In a bowl, mix yogurt, salt to taste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Keep aside.
  3. After marinating the chicken, add egg, cornflour, salt to taste and rice flour to coat the chicken. Add a tbsp of water if required.
  4. Heat oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, add a few chicken pieces into the oil without crowding the vessel and cook on medium flame. Once the chicken is almost cooked, increase flame and deep fry the chicken pieces till golden brown.
  5. Remove onto absorbent paper. Keep aside. Repeat with rest of the chicken pieces.
  6. Heat a cooking vessel, add a tbsp of oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute for a few seconds. Add curry leaves and green chilies. Saute for a few secs. Add the deep fried chicken and toss well and cook for 2 mts.
  7. Add the yogurt mixture and cook on low to medium flame, mixing the contents well. Toss the chicken till the yogurt dries up and the chicken absorbs the yogurt mix.
  8. Remove onto a serving plate. Garnish with coriander leaves.

• Garlic is optional ingredient.
  • Yogurt/Curd is essential ingredient. It gives the chicken texture and flavor.

Chicken 65 recipe at last! Despite numerous requests on how to make chicken 65, I never got down to blogging it until today.

1. Lovely recipe. One of the best starter.

2. K says:

Is it possible to pan fry instead?
    K

3. vijaya says:

hai sailu garu
    my husband asking aapalu that one how is to preapre pleaes tell me,almost all iam preparing ur recipes.now we r in uae
    ur recipes any books or dvds is available.
    thanku
    my id – vijaya_kumari21@yahoo.com

4. Ranjan says:

Hello Sailu,
    Pls advise whether your teaspoon/tablespoon etc. measurements are American, English or Indian which is the same as English?
    Much appreciate your wonderful recipes – Thanks
    Ranjan

5. Nilima says:

Hi,
    Please tell me
    whether egg should be beaten before adding or just break and add?
    Thanks,
    Nilima

6. Priya says:

Irresistible and super tempting chicken 65.

7. sirisha says:

Have a fun vacation! Any forthcoming mushroom recipes from you Sailu (preferably Indian)?

Thanks!

8. Anonymous says:

Pretty weird name but certainly something to love. Have you tried using shimla mirch powder?

9. Saru says:

Hi Sailu

Today i tried ur recipie it came out very tasty and delicious. Thanks 4r the recipie.
    I’m fan of ur blog.

10. swathi says:

can i use plain flour instead of corn flour?thank u.

11. Sybaritica says:

Looks a bit like a dish that is sometimes named ‘Chicken Tikka Masala’ … although there are lots of varieties. Very nice recipe!

12. Priya says:

It came out really well. I am trying to access your 8 summer coolers recipe. The download link is not working. I would be very grateful if you could enable the link. Thanks a ton

Priya

13. Aruna says:

Tried this twice – came out awesome!! Thank you for posting such easy-to-follow and precise recipes – any plans for a book on Andhra cooking? I will be first in line, I promise!!
    Aruna

14. Looks so simple yet spicy. So easy to prepare. Try also visiting my favorite site, GOURMANDIA. They have lots of exciting and interesting recipes for you to choose from. Not only that, they have lots of recipe videos for you to watch and replay. Like them also on FACEBOOK and TWITTER.

15. I like
    the post article here. It’s good for healthy diet. Here my suggestion
    gourmandia page in Facebook you can find recipes that good for you. Thanks
    😮

16. Nikhil says:

I made this yesterday and it was delicious, thank you. I will second the question posed by another reader about whether we can saute/stir fry the chicken instead of frying it. I can’t legitimately keep making this for my family if it’s deepfried (although it is tasty).

Thank you.

Nikhil

17. Rakhee says:

I tried this recipe this weekend and it turned out very delicious…my husband couldnt stop appreciating…thnk u for this wonderful recipe.
    Regards,
    Rakhee

18. Anju says:

It came out delicious. Thanks!

19. Anju says:

It came out delicious. Thanks!

20. Anju says:

It came out delicious. Thanks!

21. Geetanjali Varanasi says:

wow!!! i tried this appetizer today… it really came out very delicious… my husband loved it… received so many appreciations… all the credit goes to you sailu garu… thank u for such a nice blog…

22. Geetanjali Varanasi says:

23. Geetanjali Varanasi says:

24. Poojitha sharan says:

I jst wna ask u can i use maida in plc of rice flour

25. Ramyasudhakar says:

hello sailu garu,
    thank u for ur recipe.. really this is very useful for us like newly wedded… just now i make it note. tomorrow morning for the first time in my life i am going to prepare this delicious recipe.. wish me all the best..
    ramyasudhakar

26. Gust says:

hello there

27. Chemmeryrekha says:

it very delicious. it helps me to prepare a sumptuous mid day meal yesterday

28. rachna says:

Hi sailu. Made this starter last night. Was indeed very tasty. The texture was so professional. Thank you :)

29. Anusha says:

I pan fried the chicken.The outcome was no different from the deep fried version.

30. www.momkfun.blogspot.com says:

looks delicious good job

31. Bushra Ali says:

How much yoghurt please mention. I think the yoghurt will make the chicken soft right???

32. R says:

Can I substitute rice flour with something else?

33. jai says:

hi sailu,

can you suggest how it can be done in a oven. atleat the frying part.

34. Sunil John says:

I have made this twice. My only problem is that white spots of curd are seen on the finished product. It tastes good but does not look nice and golden

35. sara says:

Hi, great recipe, but can egg be substituted as my husband is allergic to it.

36. shantiram says:

what about chicken Manchurian ? What on earth is it ? I used to eat quite alot of that aswell , but as far as I know Manchuria is in China ! Nice though !

37. shantiram says:

sairam ,I always used to have chicken 65 when in my favourite watering hole in Bangalore , as a snack with my Kingfishers and I did sometimes wonder what it was and where the name came from , very tasty though , thankyou for the recipe , I will try it myself now I am back in London. Also, could you give us all a recipe for sambar as they make it in Puttaparti , and one of the best dishes I’ve ever had ; cabbage thoran ,from down in Kerala ? Thankyou ,I was getting homesick just looking at some of the photos ! SAIRAM.

38. m.jabbar says:

Thank u Sailu…truely nice recipe!

39. shradha says:

corn flour is the corn starch or the actual corn flour( makai ka aata ) which is yellow in colour. can u please help me.

40. shradha says:

in us i got yellow corn flour (makai ka atta) which is yellow in colour. can u suggest i should use this or get corn starch.which is better.please suggest.

41. Magnus Magnanimus says:

Thank you. This tastes better than the ones made from pre-made masalas.

42. venkat says:

Hello Sailu Garu,

Made this today and it came exceptionally well..U know this is my second time cooking with chicken as i don’t know cooking at all…U know the dish came out so well and my wife said…Better u cook from today..thanks a lot once again..

43. Lavanya says:

Sailu I don’t see recipe.Could you please share the recipe…

44. Lavanya says:

Thanks Sailu.. I love this recipe…I tried once it came out very tasty.

45. ShilpaReddy says:

Hi sailing my chicken 65 came out hard.please suggest me what went wrong

46. Chhota_Raavan says:

Sailugaaru I’ve seen so many different versions. Most of them did not include yoghurt.

1. July 1, 2012