Chicken 65 recipe at last!
Isn’t that the reaction of many of you dear readers? I know that you have patiently waited for the recipe of chicken 65. There have been numerous requests for chicken 65 recipe and somehow I never got down to blogging it. This is one of the most popular Indian chicken starter recipe and being able to re-create restaurant style chicken 65 at home, successfully, gives one a high. A favorite appetizer in our home along with Chicken Manchurian.
I am going on a short summer holiday in a while (an hour to be precise) and will see you all after the first week of June. Hope you are having a good summer break.
Chicken 65 Recipe
- Boneless chicken - 250 gms/1/4 kg (cut into small bite sized pieces)
- Oil for deep frying
- Yogurt - a little less than 1/2 cup (perugu/curd)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
- For Marinade:
- Turmeric powder - large pinch
- Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- To coat chicken that has been marinated:
- Egg - 1
- Cornflour - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Rice flour - 1/2 tbsp
- For Tempering/poppu/tadka:
- Cooking oil - 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprg
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced (optional)
- Ginger - 1/2", minced
- Green chilies - 4-5, slit length wise
- Marinate bite sized pieces of chicken in the ingredients called for marinade for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, salt to taste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Keep aside.
- After marinating the chicken, add egg, cornflour, salt to taste and rice flour to coat the chicken. Add a tbsp of water if required.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, add a few chicken pieces into the oil without crowding the vessel and cook on medium flame. Once the chicken is almost cooked, increase flame and deep fry the chicken pieces till golden brown.
- Remove onto absorbent paper. Keep aside. Repeat with rest of the chicken pieces.
- Heat a cooking vessel, add a tbsp of oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute for a few seconds. Add curry leaves and green chilies. Saute for a few secs. Add the deep fried chicken and toss well and cook for 2 mts.
- Add the yogurt mixture and cook on low to medium flame, mixing the contents well. Toss the chicken till the yogurt dries up and the chicken absorbs the yogurt mix.
- Remove onto a serving plate. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Garlic is optional ingredient.
- Yogurt/Curd is essential ingredient. It gives the chicken texture and flavor.
Chicken 65 recipe at last! Despite numerous requests on how to make chicken 65, I never got down to blogging it until today.