Potato korma recipe – andhra style recipe for aloo korma or potato kurma
Judging by the ingredients, many of you will expect today’s Potato Korma recipe to be tasty. Yes, I am confident about your positive reaction to this aloo korma. I did blog a recipe for Aloo Korma earlier but today’s recipe is a slight variation. Just an addition of few more ingredients to the original korma recipe, changes the flavor profile tremendously. The clean flavors of the vegetarian korma makes it an immensely satisfying side with flavored rice like biryani, pulao, roti or chapati.
Fresh coconut, poppy seeds and cashew nuts are the key ingredients which elevate the flavors of the potato korma by leaps and bounds. Do not omit or skimp on these three ingredients if you want to taste the authentic aloo korma.
Follow the instructions below to learn how to make potato korma recipe
Potato Korma Recipe Recipe
- Potatoes 3 large, washed, par boiled (partially cooked), peeled and cubed
- Onion - 1, finely chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 (quartered)
- Fresh curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - large pinch
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
- Make a paste by adding little water:
- Coconut - 3 tbsps (grated and fresh)
- Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp (khus-khus/gasagasalu)
- Fennel seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 5-6
- Green chilies - 2
- Heat oil in a vessel, add the chopped onions and curry leaves and saute for 4 mts or till the onions turn transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts. Add the chilli pwd, turmeric pwd, coriander pwd and salt. Combine well.
- Add the quartered tomatoes and partially boiled and cubed potatoes and cook on medium heat for 5 mts. Reduce heat, add the ground paste and garam masala powder and combine.
- Add one and a half cups of water, adjust salt and cook covered on medium flame for 7-8 mts.
- Remove lid and simmer till you get the desired gravy consistency.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with hot rotis, coconut rice or any flavored rice.
- You can add store bought tomato puree (1/4 cup) if you do not have fresh tomatoes.
- Poppy seeds can be omitted if not available.
Potato korma recipe is an easy to make Andhra style recipe using spices like fennel seeds and fresh coconut. Aloo korma goes well with rice and rotis.