Chicken Curry (with Coconut Milk)

chicken-curry-recipe
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

A fantastic and flavorful chicken curry that is a regular at our home. This favorite chicken curry recipe is usually prepared as a side with flavored rice like Tomato Pulao. Coconut milk and poppy seeds are essential in the preparation of the curry. The chicken simmers in a concoction of yogurt, coconut milk, poppy seeds and garam masala to yield a rich creamy textured curry. Tomato Pulao with Chicken curry made for a deliciously comforting meal.

coconut-milk-chicken-curry-recipe
Coconut Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry (with Coconut Milk)

1. Chicken
  2. Coconut Milk

• Chicken: 1 kg (washed, cut into bite sized pieces)
  • Yogurt: 1/2 cup (curd)
  • Lemon juice: 1/4 lemon
  • Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
  • Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
  • Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
  • Red Chili Powder: 1 1/2 tsp
  • Poppy seeds: 1 tbsp (soak in little milk and make paste)
  • Red Onion: 2 (large, finely chopped)
  • Garam masala powder: 1 cardamom, 1/2 " cinnamon and 5 cloves finely ground
  • Star anise: 1
  • Cinnamon: 1"
  • Thick coconut milk: 3/4 cup
  • Coriander leaves: 2 tbsps (finely chopped for garnish)
  • salt to taste
  • Oil: 2 tbsps
  • Make a paste:
  • Green chilies: 3
  • Ginger: 1 1/2" piece
  • Garlic: 6 cloves

1. Marinate the chicken in yogurt, coriander pwd, cumin pwd, turmeric pwd, lemon juice and half of the ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste for 10 mts.
  2. Heat oil in a cooking vessel, add the star anise, cinnamon stick and chopped onions and fry for 4 mts. Add the remaining ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for 4 mts. Add red chili powder and mix.
  3. Add the marinated chicken and cook on high heat for 4 mts, mixing once in a while.
  4. Reduce to medium heat, add salt and poppy seeds paste and mix well. Let the chicken cook in this paste for 8-10 mts, uncovered. Cook till oil separates. Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 13-14 mts.
  5. Finally add garam masala pwd, mix well. Add thick coconut milk and cook on medium flame for 3-4 mts. Turn off heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
  6. Serve hot with white steamed rice, coconut rice, any flavored or rotis.

• You can add 4-5 tbsps coconut paste instead of coconut milk. Add the coconut paste at the time of adding the poppy seeds paste.

1. Asathnur says:

Sailu: One quick Q .. Do you recommend chicken with /without bone for this recipe?

2. anon says:

what is a substitue for poppy seeds?

3. Pattu says:

Chicken curry is the most easy and popular dish. I liked the idea of using star anise and coconut milk.
    Thanks for your well written blog, with beautiful picutres of dishes :-)

4. This looks mouthwatering sailu…love all ur chicken dishes …Will try this and let you know :)

5. This looks mouthwatering sailu…love all ur chicken dishes …Will try this and let you know :)

6. Super delicious looking and i move that gravy it has.

7. Super delicious looking and i move that gravy it has.

8. Priya says:

Super delicious chicken curry, wat an aromatic dish.

9. priya says:

tempting chicken curry!!!!

10. priya says:

tempting chicken curry!!!!

11. priya says:

tempting chicken curry!!!!

12. Swathi Upadrasta says:

Nice looking recipe, just a quick question, what would be a vegetarian alternative for this? Can any vegetables be used to substitute chicken? Many thanks

• Anonymous says:

You can try soy nuggets/meal maker and paneer. You can try mixed vegetables. If using mixed vegetables, do not marinate the raw vegetables. Saute the vegetables in 1/2 tbsp oil for 4 mts and then marinate for a 5-10 mts. Carrots, beans, caulflower, peas, potatoes can be used.

• Anonymous says:

13. Krithi says:

Looks awesome… Love the new layout!!

14. Krithi says:

Looks awesome… Love the new layout!!

15. tina says:

looks so appetising

16. madhavi says:

it is an easy dish with very few ingredients, but u have not mentioned red powder and its quantity in the list of ingredients.

17. Divya Divya says:

Wow. There is so much variation in chicken curry. One can add different ingredients to it, add different spices to it. The flavour is so different with different combinations. I love making it and experimenting with its taste and flavour.

Divya Bhaskar
    MyGrahak.com

18. shisha says:

initially when i tried this recipe i was a bit worried whether the curry will be sweet because of mixing with coconut milk. but once the final product was finished its really awesome. i loved it :)

19. thanks for the receipe, basically I’m from andhra . i never use coconut in any form of curries. but this recipe looks more interesting and hope i will like it . this weekend definitely will try once :)

20. Kate says:

Cooked this curry tonight. Absolutely fantastic. Looking forward to more tomorrow

21. Anon says:

i love your recipes. More than that you bring back memories of home with your colorful description of Andhra Pradesh as well the recipes. I am a huge fan and admirer of yours. Keep up the good work.

22. Karthik says:

Thanks alot.. first time in my life…i cooked very tasty chicken curry…:) thanks again.

23. Sonia says:

hey. tried this one today and everyone loved it! thanks!

24. BA says:

On step four, after you bring to a boil, do you cover before cooking 13-14 mins? How high is the flame for this period?

25. paula s. says:

Made today. I would not add any water, just use a can of coconut milk. Found it too runny with the water, I let it simmer for 45 mins and it was still too runny. Added another 1/4 cup of greek yogurht to thicken a little. Used 4 serrano peppers 8 cloves of garlic and a good 1.5″ giinger for the paste. I thought it would have more kick, but to my surprise this recipe is mild…next time I will increase the serrano peppers. All in all the taste was wonderful, just not hot enough for our taste.

26. Satish says:

hello, i just tried this recipe and still on the burner. looks and tastes yummy. thank you.

27. Claude-Olivier Marti says:

Hi, it looks delicious !! I love this kind of indian curry. I’m living in Switzerland and it is not so easy to find good indian restaurants, so I do it by myself 😉 I just have a question: Do you know a recipe of chicken curry with coconut cream but also with banana and almond ? I’ve try this once and it was delicious! Have a nice day

28. pizza hut says:

yummy yummy chicken that to with coconut milk it is very nice to try at home……………

29. Linda says:

Hi! My husband and I loved this dish. But I was wondering how u get the red/brownish color? Ours looked white/ greenish and black poppy seeds….Btw how do u make a poppy seed paste?
    I have diffrent tools but find it difficult to make a paste with a small amount of ingredients…..

30. Claudia says:

We have a red, handwritten notebook which is reserved for our most beloved recipes – and I have just added this recipe which we prepared tonight and enjoyed tremendously. Thank you!
    Claudia & Gerald

31. Madhu says:

Hi Sailu I am Hemas niece living in Delhi .TY for ur recepies. Mehra told me @ ur website ,GBY
    Madhu

32. clive says:

I am based in the UK and am generally very disappointed how bland most cookbook recipes taste. But this recipe is a complete knock out. Unbelievable. Thank you.

33. Rick says:

I made this one the second time. I like it a lot. It is not a tradition in Slovakia to cook Indian food but I am huge fan and love cooking. Thanks a lot!!!

34. Jchoover says:

I made this today along with the veg pulao recipe on this site and it was a fantastic combination! Thanks again Sailu for such an awesome recipe!

35. Nayeem says:

Chicken curry is a popular dish at home. Great recipe and good photos too. The recipe is looking spicy and hot. I’m going to try this in the weekend.

Thanks…Nayeem

36. cosmin balan says:

Hi, i have tried this recipe and it was a very good one, but i`m not sure about garam masala…

How much should have been? In here i see a mix of ingredients for it, but i haven`t found the cardamom, instead i found “directly” garam masala powder. I put one full tablespoon (also, i had 1.5 kg of chicken). Was it too much, or less?
    Thanks if you or any reader has a bit of time to share some light :)

37. Babita Karson says:

Hi. I’d like to make this delicious chicken curry, but can I use lite coconut milk instead of thick ?

1. January 2, 2012

[…] Curry with Coconut Milk http://www.sailusfood.com/2011/12/05/chicken-curry-with-coconut-milk/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]