Our friends sent us loads of farm fresh tomatoes they harvested in their farm. Last week saw the making of a lot of tomato based recipes namely, tomato pickle, tomato rasam, tomato soup and Tamatar Pulao. Tomato Pulao is an extremely flavorful rice dish using ripe red tomatoes and rice. The key to this recipe is in the spices and the use of mint leaves. With raita as an accompaniment, it makes for a great one pot meal. I made coconut chicken curry along with Tamatar pulao which made for a delectable combination.
Tamatar Pulao Recipe
Tamatar Pulao ~ Tomato Rice Recipe
- Raw rice: 2 cups
- Shah jeera: 1 tsp
- Bay leaf: 1
- Cloves: 6
- Cinnamon stick: 1"
- Cardamoms: 2
- Onions: 2 (medium sized, finely sliced)
- Green chili-ginger-garlic paste: 1 1/2 tsps
- Mint: 12-15 leaves (Pudina)
- Kasoori methi: 1/2 tsp (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder: pinch (roasted jeera powder)
- Tomato: 2 (large red tomatoes, finely chopped)
- Tomato: 1 (large red tomato, blanch, peel skin and puree)
- Coriander leaves: 1 1/2 tbsps (finely chopped for garnish)
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tbsp (optional) vegan can omit ghee and substitute with oil
- Heat oil+ghee in a vessel or pressure cooker, add shah jeera, cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms and stir fry 30 secs. Add the sliced onions and saute for 3 mts. Add green chili-ginger-garlic paste, mint leaves and kasoori methi and saute for 4-5 mts.
- Add red chili powder and cumin powder and mix. Add chopped tomato, tomato puree and salt to taste and mix. Cook for 8-9 mts on low to medium flame, or till oil separates.
- Reduce heat, add the raw rice, mix, saute for a mt. Add 3 3/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and cook till rice is done. If using pressure cooker, cook rice upto 3 whistles.
- Remove onto a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm with raita or any curry of your choice.
- You can use 2 tbsps of oil or 1 tbsp oil+1 tbsp ghee.
Our friends sent us loads of farm fresh tomatoes they harvested in their farm. Last week saw the making of a lot of tomato based recipes namely, tomato pickle, tomato rasam, tomato soup and Tamatar Pulao. Tomato Pulao is an extremely flavorful rice dish using ripe red tomatoes and rice.