Chamadumpa Chips ~ Taro Root (Arbi) Chips

Are you familiar with this exotic underground stem? Goes by the name Taro root, Elephant Ears, Colocasia, Arbi in Hindi and Chamadumpa in Telugu. You will find it at across all the Rythu Bazaars (farmer’s market) in Andhra.

Its the sliminess and slippery feel of taro root which keeps away many from relishing its flavor. Please don’t let that put you away from trying it. It is full of fiber, lot of starch and has a delicious creamy texture.

arbi-recipe
Taro Root Chips

Today’s recipe for chips is a deep fried version. You can even shallow fry the taro root slices which would yield a less crisp exterior but tasty nevertheless. I’m yet to try baking them. Do try this Arbi recipe you wouldn’t want to miss.

elephant-ears-colocasia
Taro Root-Colocasia-Arbi-Chamadumpa

Taro Root Chips Recipe

Prep & Cooking: 45-50 mts

Ingredients:

1/4 kg taro root/arbi/chamadumpa

oil for deep-frying

salt to taste

chilli pwd to taste

1/2 tsp coriander powder

pinch of cumin powder

1 Boil taro roots with enough water till soft. Drain water and cool. Peel the taro roots and slice them slightly thick.
2 Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. To test if oil is hot enough for deep frying chamadumpa aka arbi root slices, drop a slice into the oil, if the oil bubbles around it with a sizzling noise, the oil is ready.
3 Into the hot oil, drop the sliced taro roots (depending on the size of vessel used for deep frying, drop just enough arbi slices such that the vessel isn’t overcrowded). On medium flame, deep fry chamadumpa slices.
4 Use a slotted stainless steel ladle to stir the taro root chips gently. When they reach golden brown color, remove them onto a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Repeat with the remaining batch of arbi slices.
5 Season chamadumpa slices with salt, chilli pwd, cumin pwd and coriander pwd. Remove onto a serving plate and serve.

Chamadumpa Chips ~ Taro Root (Arbi) Chips

1. taro root

Its the sliminess and slippery feel of taro root which keeps away many from relishing its flavor. It is full of fiber, lot of starch and has a delicious creamy texture. Today’s recipe for chips is a deep fried version. You can even shallow fry the taro root slices which would yield a less crisp exterior but tasty nevertheless.

1. Salim Patel says:

Can the Arbi’s be pressure cooked just like potatoes ?

2. Salim Patel says:

Can the Arbi’s be pressure cooked just like potatoes ?

3. Krithi says:

That is a great appetizer!! I too have a shallow fried spicy version at my space..
    Krithi’s Kitchen
    Event: Serve It – Festival Potluck

4. Krithi says:

Krithi’s Kitchen
    Event: Serve It – Festival Potluck

5. kumari says:

the picuture is very drooling :)-

6. kumari says:

the picuture is very drooling :)-

7. Priya says:

Tempting taro root chips,love it very much..

8. Jane says:

Hi this is also called yam and the Africans call it madumbi. will try looks delicious

9. Justhomemade says:

Love Arbi (yam)! We make a curry with coconut usually. I can imagine those chips must be yummy..

10. Srikhakollu Neeraja says:

I tried this way but the arbi gets soft when they become cold and don’t taste good. I think it used to consume when they are hot only.

11. Kalyani says:

looks so tempting and yum ………

12. Denny says:

Wow..these are awesome, I make a thicker pan fried version, and recently tried an oven roasted version. Will very soon make these chips.

Denny @ Oh Taste n See – http://www.ohtastensee.com

13. Janardhan36 says:

మా అమ్మ చామదుంపల వేపుడు చేసేది … ఇది చాలా బాగుందనిపిస్తోంది…

నాదొక ప్రశ్న… à°ˆ టాపిక్ కాదు.దుకాణం లో దొరికే . బంగాళా దుంపల చిప్స్ à°•à°¿ , లేదా మిక్స్చర్ à°•à°¿ పుదీనా వాసన ఉంటుంది.. à°† వాసన రావాలంటే ఎలా చెయ్యాలి చెప్పరూ ?

• shwetha says:

pudina flavour kosam .,fresh pudinani directga pan lo roast chesaka konchem cool aina tarvata,handthone crush cheste powder avtundi..sprinkle that powder on chips

• Janardhana Sharma says:

ధన్యవాదాలు శ్వేత గారూ … ఇది నేను à°…à°¡à°¿à°—à°¿ సంవత్సరం పైనే అయినా , మీరు జవాబిచ్చినందుకు థాంక్స్.

నేను ఇది ఈ మధ్యనే తెలుసుకున్నాను . పుదీనాని ఎండబెట్టి కూడా , ఆ పొడి ని వాడితే అదే వాసన వస్తోంది .

14. Janardhan36 says:

మా అమ్మ చామదుంపల వేపుడు చేసేది … ఇది చాలా బాగుందనిపిస్తోంది…

15. Thanks for the recipe , i will try this for sure. It looks so easy make and delicious to eat.

16. Plato P. says:

that sure do look delicious! I gotta try it!
    I too have a recipe blog dedicated to indian dishes.I Just started it! Please come and visit and give your valuable suggestions! :)

17. Plato P. says:

that sure do look delicious! I gotta try it!

18. Shoba Shrinvasan says:

You are oficially killing me with this dish. It looks so beautiful and perfect and round and crisp and heavenly!!! Amazing clear and sharp pics only add to the torture!
    I can never get my self top deep fry as I feel I am getting loaded on calories! Shallow fy version with the final broil in the oven helps a lot!
    Shobha

19. Shoba Shrinvasan says:

Shobha

20. Shoba Shrinvasan says:

Shobha

21. Gera says:

Those chips look fabulous, golden and crispy – I’m hungry and I’ve dozens in front of my screen :)

Cheers,

Gera

22. Gera says:

Cheers,

Gera

23. Gera says:

Cheers,

Gera

24. Gera says:

Cheers,

Gera

25. I absolutely love fried taro chips! yours are so golden and lovely looking.

26. Meghna says:

Fabulous! They were sooo tasty and easy to make. My 1 year old and 3 year old loved them and husband ate whole batch by himself!

27. Elcyreddy says:

one suggestion sailu garu…u can add finely chopped curry leaves also to this one…the flavor f curry leaves also gets mixed and it will smell and taste heavenlyyy..!!!!