How To ~ Make Ginger Garlic Paste

I spent the weekend sifting through readers comments seeking kitchen tips and recipe requests. Quite a few requests are ‘how to’ type questions like how to make soft pulkas or how to cook rice. This got me to start a ‘How To’ series on basics of Indian cooking. I am not an expert but would like to share my kitchen experiences and what works for me.

I am starting the ‘How To’ series with ‘ginger garlic paste’ that is indispensable to the Indian kitchen. Usually we prepare ginger garlic paste enough to last a month.

Ginger garlic paste ~ Allam Velluli Mudda

How to make ginger garlic paste (allam velluli mudda)?

Take 1 cup of peeled and sliced ginger root and 3/4 cup of peeled and sliced garlic. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric pwd, 3/4 tsp salt and blend to make a smooth paste. I don’t add any water but you can add a tbsp of water. Store in a moisture free bottle, place a spoon, close the lid tight and refrigerate. You can freeze ginger garlic paste for months (to store beyond a month, add a tbsp of vinegar and a tbsp of olive oil (that has been warmed and cooled) or any oil to the above proportions).

Peeled and sliced ginger garlic

Note:

You can add equal quantity of ginger and garlic. I personally prefer to use less garlic.

How do you make your ginger garlic paste?

How to articles:
How to make butter and ghee – photo tutorial
How to make rava dosa – photo tutorial

How To ~ Make Ginger Garlic Paste

• Serves:

1. ginger
  2. garlic

1. sudha says:

hi sailu garu…

Even i also prepare with same quantity, i mean like how u prepared..

i have one request sailu garu…i have some recipes…easy n simple i don’t know where to post recipes..if u wish i will post my recipes…waiting for ur reply..

thanks
    SudhaBalaji

2. for most Hyd. recipes,
    i use ginger: garlic = 1:2
    it’s the thing thay gives the zing to your biryanis & saalans…
    tip courtesy: Kunwar Rani Kulsum Begum (Google her …)

3. Aparna Rao says:

Great idea to start the How To series! lovely pics, thanks for posting.

4. madhuri says:

Thanks Sailaja. Im new entry here as you know. I always wanted to do this but I never put turmeric and mine would last long; Being a working mom, I would like to store for couple of weeks atleast…….Thanks for sharing!

Madhuri

5. Madhumathi says:

Nice and useful series, Sailaja.
    Im very lazy so i use store bought ginger-garlic paste..Now after seeing this post I have decided to make them on my own :)

6. Valerie says:

I make the ginger-garlic paste in the same way. Once made, I place some in ice-cube trays – about 2 tablespoons per compartment. Once frozen, I transfer them to a container and keep in the freezer. When I need some for a recipe, I take out as many cubes as I will need.

I look forward to reading more of the “how to” recipes. Thank you.

7. swaraj says:

wonderful site !
    i do not add any tumeric, salt or water — it stays fresh and long. sometimes the salt/tumeric does not go good with all dishes…

8. argus says:

excellent idea for the how to series and a great opener!

9. neelima says:

Sailu, do you know why the ginger garlic paste i make, turns green after few days even when stored in the fridge.

Read this article to learn more about garlic and why the paste turns green.

10. Indhu says:

Lovely idea :)
    keep the how-tos coming :)

11. anon says:

Sailu,

First time to you blog. I loved your website. Good work and I wish you good luck. By the way I loved your logo “Sailus Food”. Did you get it designed by a professional? What software were you using to design it?

12. Lavanya says:

Hello Sailu garu,
    I’ve started cooking very recently. I get so many “How-To” doubts. Getting these simple things on google is very difficult. I’m cooking daily one recipe from your website. Sorry for not thanking you all these days. With this “How-To” Series, you made our lives more easier. If I cook any dish other than from your website, my hubby will ask me is this not from your sailufood? Thanks a lot!!!!
    – Lavanya

13. V JR says:

Hi,
    When I make ginger-garlic paste, I use ginger’s quantity a little less than that of garlic.
    After making the paste by adding salt and little water, I fry it for a few minutes in little oil. By doing this, the paste can be stored for a long time in the fridge. The colour won’t change by frying the paste.

14. Jyoti says:

thanks shailu…for the onion blanch….does it loose the flavour after blanching…seems very easy. can we use it for most recipies….
    can we store it….>???
    Thanks a lot Hugs and Smiles.
    jo

It doesn’t lose flavor, infact the distinct onion smell disappears with the blanching and using boiled onion paste in recipes like Paneer Butter Masala gives a great flavor to the dish. You can freeze and store for a longer period. If placing in fridge, use it within 2-3 days.

15. laila says:

hi sailu garu,
    i was just thinking of making sambhar powder i vil now make it your style, quite different from how i make it though, i use just the five ingredients- hing dhania mirchi methi channa. and like u i simply love collecting receipes and i try to use as many as i can. love, laila

• anna says:

Good evening! I wandered in here quite by accident, looking for information on how to make ginger-garlic paste, and found your wonderful page. Such good, clear directions, thank you! I have bookmarked this site and will be back for more. I’ve been exploring Indian cooking for the last few years and am learning so much about good, healthy food.

16. Sysarizvi says:

hey how can we prevent Ginger to turn into green….I put it in the refrigerator and after few days it turn into greeen..:-( plzzz tel me

17. Vijaya_612 says:

Hi sailu, it is nice. How to series is nice we can clear our doubts. Pls let me know home made
    Garam masala podi. In readymade masala podwer they use different types of ingredients, i want
    to know simple one to use in curry snd rice items.

Thankyou

18. Vijaya_612 says:

to know simple one to use in curry snd rice items.

Thankyou

19. Vijaya_612 says:

to know simple one to use in curry snd rice items.

Thankyou

20. Shireen Moodley says:

Thank you for your advice, I have always used more ginger to garlic, but it’s a preference.

1. February 22, 2010

[…] articles: How to make butter and ghee – photo tutorial How to make rava dosa – photo tutorial How to make ginger garlic paste How to blanch tomatoes & onions How to make Sambar Podiaddthis_url = […]

2. July 17, 2010

[…] And it was so easy too, perfect for a weeknight meal. This time around I did not try to make the garlic-ginger paste. Instead, I used 4 cloves of garlic and 1 1/2-inch piece of grated […]

3. November 8, 2011

[…] 2 tbsp ginger/garlic paste (or mash in mortar/pestle one 2 inch piece of peeled/chopped ginger and 2 cloves of garlic) or follow this link […]