Palakura pappu is a delicious heartening dal using spinach greens – a classic Andhra pappu kura. Its full of protein, nutritious and you will enjoy preparing it because its easy, quick and your kitchen will be filled with an aromatic fresh flavor of spinach simmering with tuvar dal that absorbs the seasoning beautifully.
Palakura pappu, potato-beans stir fry, bottle gourd pachadi with rice ~ Our lunch
Spinach, palak, palakura
- 1 small cup tur dal/red gram dal/kandi pappu
- 2 cups chopped and tightly packed palakura/palak/spinach
- 1 onion, chopped
- big pinch turmeric pwd
- 2-3 green chillis, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water, approx
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal/minappa pappu/split gram dal (optional)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dry red chillis, de-seed and tear
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- 2-3 tsps oil
Method for making palakura pappu
- In a pressure cooker, place dal, palak leaves, onions, green chillis, ginger and turmeric pwd. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water and pressure cook upto 2 whistles. If cooking over stove top, cook till the dal is almost cooked.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add mustards seeds and as they jump around, add cumin seeds, urad dal, garlic, red chillis and curry leaves and stir fry for half a minute.
- Add this to the pressure cooked dal along with salt and combine. Cook on slow to medium flame for 5-7 mts without lid or till you get the consistency of your choice.
- Serve with white rice and a stir fry dish.