Pesara Punukulu – Moong Dal Fritters

Both Satish and I like to snack on some tasty nibbles with our evening tea and one tea-time snack I prepare once in a while, are green moong dal fritters – full of earthy goodness, simple with few ingredients, flavorful and ones which Nehal also relishes. It hardly takes any effort to prepare them – to savor these fritters at tea time, remember to soak the moong dal atleast 5-6 hours before tea-time.

Pesara Punukulu - Green gram dal fritters

Best eaten hot, off the skillet, when the crust is crisp. When eaten cold, its sort of chewy but pleasantly livens up our palate with a hot cuppa chai.

Pesara Punukulu Recipe

Prep & Cooking: 20-30 mts, soaking: 5-6 hours

Makes approx 35-40 punukulu

Cuisine: Andhra

Ingredients:

1 cup pesalu, green moong dal (soaked in water for 5-6 hrs)

1 onion finely chopped (optional)

3-4 green chillis (adjust according to your spice level)

1″ ginger

2 flakes garlic, crushed (optional)

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 small bunch coriander leaves finely chopped

salt to taste

oil for deep frying

1 Grind the soaked and drained moong dal, green chillis, ginger and salt to a paste. There is no need to add water while grinding. Remove onto a dish and add the chopped onions, coriander leaves, cumin seeds and mix well.
2 Heat oil in a deep frying vessel. Once its piping hot, reduce flame to medium and drop a little mixture (about a tbsp) and fry the fritters to a golden brown color. Deep fry a batch of 8-10 punukulu depending on the size of the vessel.
3 Serve hot over a cup of masala chai.

Moong dal fritters

Note:

Generally, the split husked green moong is the preferred lentil for these fritters. You need to soak these lentils for 2-3 hours unlike the whole moong which requires more soaking time.

Pesara Punukulu – Moong Dal Fritters

• Serves:

1. moong dal

1. asha says:

I love snacks too but try to cut down frying these days.But It’s ShivRatri for us ,so more frying goes on!:))
    Looks yummy.If you sprinkle some yoghurt and chaat masala with onions and cilantro,it tastes divine like srteet cart chaat!
    Thanks Sailu.

2. preethi says:

very delicious and healthy recipe sailu!

3. Linda says:

First the sweet and now the savory. These look wonderful too :)

4. Lera says:

getting to see another of your yummmy snack! looks like you’ve made quite a lot of these, may be I should join you guys :).

5. seema says:

Sailu,
    This is how called being a little health concious even when you make finger food. Loved the fritters. I have had something like this in one of the restaurants recently and even loved it. Thanx for sharing it.

6. indosungod says:

Those are delicious fritters you have there. Visit to your blog is always refreshing and tasty.

7. Sandeepa says:

Looks good Sailaja, We make fritters like this with Red Masoor.

8. Hyderabadiz says:

PS. Apologies for cross posting. This is not spam.
    Hello Hyderabadi Blogger:
    We have a plan to unite all Hyderabadiz: Calling out to all Hyderabadi bloggers.
    We are trying our best to gather as much as possbile (I mean the sound and the fury, show and tell, look and feel of our true colors).
    Push, pull or try your best to bring more people join the event of uniting Hyderabadi Bloggers.
    Best, MT and the Team of Hyderabadiz

9. Mishmash! says:

Hi Sailaja, Though we dont make too much of fried snacks at home coz of health reasons, it looks like spicy, crunchy snack which is perfect for our winter days and I wont say NO to it if you offer me a plate of it 😉

Shn

10. shilpa says:

These fritters look very good Sailaja. I too loved all the snacks till I came to US. here with any deep fried food, I get throat pain, so have almost stopped. But I miss them a lot.

11. Sailu,

Your pictures are beautiful as usual! Love this version of a ‘vadai’. Will certainly try it!

Kanchana

12. Just like Sandeepa, even we make these snacks with masur dal. Something to do with eastern India perhaps!!

13. sia says:

that looks delicious sailu… my mom used to make them and we used to gulp them with mango chutney… mmmm… delicious:)

14. Anh says:

I think I have tasted something similar like this before… Lovely!

15. viji says:

Dear Sailaja, I went through your recipes from Tomato Dosa to Moong Dal Fritters. Very interesting. Tomato Dosa is perfect. The gingery spinach kabab is tempting. Will try sure. Jagger flavoured vadas are something new for me. Facts about Tarbooj is a good info. Love to see the flowers in your garden. Well photographed. Always enjoy visiting your blog Sailu. Have a good day. Viji

16. Jyothsna says:

hi Sailaja! I’ve tried making moong dal fritters but somehow, they don’t taste all that good…But I’ll try your way next time! Nice looking fritters, must say! :)

17. Nandita says:

Very nice recipe – i do make pesarattu off and on. This one is a good idea for guests to make a big bunch of munchies. I did try your tomato dosa – turned out nice!

18. Menu Today says:

Hi Asha,
    I prepare this with yellow moong. Your version looks nice. Thanks for sharing

19. Bhargavi says:

One of my fav snacks. Presentation is good as always.
    Good day!

20. Rama. says:

Is this a whole moong or moong dal??

Need a suggestion not related to cooking-one of my neighbor here in US is from Andhra. Would like to gift something from Chennai. What would you suggest me in this regard??

Thanks.

Its whole green moong, Rama. That’s a difficult question to answer – Puttapakka/Kalamkari/Mangalagiri dupattas, ethnic kurthis or hand made paper items/lamp shades/curios/table mats from Pondicherry? How about a brass antique bell or any brass item? Probably it could be heavy on your luggage. Just a few suggestions..:)

21. SRIDEVI says:

Hi Sailu garu,
    Pesara punukulu looks very good.Its ages since I ate them.I cut on all fried foods .But I think once a while we can indulge in this luxury.
    Please keep on posting . All of us are waiting for more….

22. madhuri says:

hi shailaja, it looks very intresting def i m going to try this…thank u

23. Jahnavi says:

Hi Sailu,i am preparing this for tea time today. I’m just assuming that the garlic will be added with the grinding items, you didn’t mention abt garlic……thank you for the healthy recepie.

Garlic is an optional ingredient. You can avoid it if you are fond of garlic. If you want to use garlic, you can crush and add or add it with along with the other ingredients for grinding.

1. January 18, 2009

[…] uncheese sauce Indian Dal Recipes (Just the tip of the iceberg!) My South Indian Dal Fritters Moong Dal Fritters Red Lentil Dal Red Gram […]