Kakarakaya Pulusu is one of my favorite tangy gravy dish. Bittergourd curry is cooked in a spiced tamarind sauce and goes well with rice and rotis.Good for diabetic patients.
Kakarakaya Pulusu – Bitter Gourd Curry
- 3-4 medium sized bitter gourd/kakarakaya/karela
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 green chillis slit lengthwise
- 2-3 tbsps thick tamarind paste
- 7-9 cloves garlic
- 1" ginger chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 3/4th tsp chilli pwd
- 1 tsp dhania pwd
- 1/2 tsp jeera pwd
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps grated jaggery or sugar
- oil as required
Method for making Kakarakaya Pulusu – Bitter Gourd Curry
- Peel and deseed the bitter gourd i.e scoop out the seeds with a spoon and cut into 2" pieces. (Scoop seeds if they are too mature and hard)
- Boil these pieces in 1 1/2 cups of water and salt till half cooked. Drain.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a vessel and fry the boiled bitter gourd pieces for 5-7 minutes. Remove from fire and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 1/2 tbsp oil, add the onions, garlic and ginger and saute till transparent. Cool and grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the vessel add curry leaves, green chillis and the coarse onion paste. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add dhania pwd, jeera pwd, chilli pwd, turmeric and jaggery. Combine well.
- Add the fried kakarakaya pieces and tamarind paste and mix well. Add 2 cups of water and let the karela cook well till you get a gravy consistency (pulusu consistency). Adjust salt and garnish with coriander leaves.
One of my favorite tangy gravy dish. Bittergourd is cooked in a spiced tamarind sauce and goes well with rice and rotis.