Sweet Corn Chicken Soup
Sweet corn chicken soup is my most favorite Indo Chinese soup dish. When I eat Chinese at a restaurant, this heart warming chicken soup or sweet corn vegetable soup is always a part of our meal. One of the simplest soup recipes that can be made at home and I guarantee you that this soup will give any good Indian Chinese restaurant a run for its money. Seriously, its that good.
Basically one needs to follow three crucial steps while making this soup. These include the use of cream style corn, chicken stock and egg drop that gives the soup its wonderful texture. The soup has a sweet-salty flavor where shredded chicken is simmered in a sesame oil toasted chicken broth and cream style corn. I use white pepper powder to season my soup which lends a subtle hint of spice. You can also add finely chopped carrots and beans, thought its purely optional.
One sure shot way to win the heart of your loved ones is to serve them this flavorful restaurant style sweet corn chicken soup.
Sweet Corn Chicken Soup Recipe
- Sweet Corn, cream style: 1 tin
- Chicken stock: 1.25 litres (5 cups) OR water
- Chicken - 1/4 kg, with bone washed and drained
- Spring onions - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp, finely minced
- Spring onion greens - 4 tbsps, finely chopped
- Cornflour - 2 1/2 to 3 tbsps (corn starch)
- Light soy sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1, beaten lightly
- Sugar: 3/4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sesame oil - 1 tsp
- White pepper powder - as required
- Spring onion greens: 3-4 tbsps (finely chopped) for garnish
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add spring onion whites and ginger and saute for a mt. Add the shredded chicken and saute for a mt. Add cream style sweet corn and chicken stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and cook on low flame for a mt.
- Add sugar and adjust salt to the simmering soup and cook further for 3-4 mts.
- Mix the cornflour in 4 tbsps of water and keep aside.
- Add the cornflour mixture and go on stirring till the soup thickens on low to medium flame. Slowly add the beaten egg and continuously stir in one direction only. Ensure that the flame is low and the egg will form into thin white threads in the soup. Keep stirring for few more seconds and turn off heat.
- Pour into soup bowls, garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot. You can season with white pepper powder.
- Prepare the chicken stock by boiling 1 1/2 lts of water, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, 1 cubed carrot, 1/2" ginger, 3 crushed garlic cloves and 1/4 kg chicken with bone. Place lid and allow the water to come to a rolling boil. Simmer for 15 mts and turn off flame. Strain the liquid and keep aside. De-bone the chicken and shred to small pieces.
- If you want you can add vegetable stock instead of chcken stock. Vegetable stock can be prepared by boiling 6-7 cups of water, 1 large onion (quarter it), a carrot (slice it) and a potato (large cubes). Boil till water reduces to 5 1/2 cups. Turn off heat, strain the stock and discard vegetables.
- You can use black pepper powder instead of white pepper powder.
- Sugar can be reduced to 1/2 tablespoon.
- Adjust corn flour according to the desired thickness of soup. More corn flour yields a thicker soup.
- You can prepare cream style corn at home. Take 2 corn cobs, take a share knife and scrap the corn kernels. Melt a tbsp of butter in a vessel, add 3/4th of the corn kernels and saute for 2 mts. Blend the remaining corn kernels to a paste. Add this corn paste and a tbsp of sugar to the vessel and mix. Add 1/4 cup of water and 3 tbsps milk (optional ingredient) and cook for 7-8 mts. Mix a tbsp of flour in 3 tbsps water and mix. Add the corn flour mixture and go on stirring till it thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Cool and freeze until use.
Sweet corn chicken soup is a classic soup among Indo Chinese recipes. An easy soup recipe made with cream style corn and shredded chicken is very flavorful.