Vanilla Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting
I have tried numerous recipes for vanilla cupcakes but I am yet to nail the perfect recipe. I like a moist cupcake and my preferred choice of fat is oil. Since I like the flavor of butter, I use both butter and oil in most cupcake recipes that I try. Today’s recipe is one that I have minimally adapted from Glorious Treats and is by far the best I have found in terms of texture and flavor. The use of corn flour gives it a light and airy texture. Due to the oil the cupcake keeps moist for quite a few days. The key is to not over bake as the cupcake tends to be dry and curmbly. My son is very fond of Nutella and I decided on a Nutella Buttercream frosting which turned out absolutely amazing with the Vanilla Cupcakes. Seriously, the cupcakes are so good on their own that there is no need for any frosting.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting Recipe
- Flour - 1 1/4 cups
- Corn flour - 2 tbsps
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsps
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Buttermilk - 1/2 cup
- Butter - 1/4 cup, unsalted
- Vegetable oil - 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1 1/2 tsps
- Butter - 1/3 cup
- Nutella - 1/2 cup
- Icing sugar - 2/3 cup, sifted
- Milk - 1-2 tbsps or heavy cream
- Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C and line the muffin tray with cupcake liners. cup moulds with paper liners.
- Slft flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt at least 3 times and place in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the butter until light. Add sugar and beat till light and fluffy.
- Add each egg, one at a time and beat until well incorporated. Add the oil and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsps of flour, alternating with a little buttermilk and mix until well combined on low speed. Do not over beat.
- Start and end with flour. Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners a little over 1/2 full. Bake for 14-15 mts on until a toothpick inserted in the cupcake comes out clean.
- Place the tray on a wire rack to cool for 10 mts. You can frost the cupcakes with frositng of your choice. I frosted with nutella frosting.
- For frosting. Beat the butter for 3 mts on medium speed. Add icing sugar little by little along with a tbsp of milk and beat further for 6-7 mts until light and creamy. Add nutella and beat for another 3 mts. Fill a piping bag with a icing tip of your choice and pipe the nutella frosting over the cupcakes.
- All the ingredients for the cupcake must be at room temperature.
- Do not overbeat the cake batter at the time of adding the flour and buttermilk. Just mix till well combined on low speed.
- You can add 1 cup sugar for a sweeter cupcake. Since I was frosting the cake, I reduced the quantity of sugar.
- You can omit butter and use 1/2 cup oil or vice versa.
- Refrigerate the piping bag with frosting for 15 mt so that it is not runny when you pipe the frosting over the cupcakes. I have reduced icing sugar to less the sweetness of the frosting. You can use utto 1 1/2 cups icing sugar.
Vanilla cupcakes is the most basic among cupcake recipes and the easiest to make too. Learn how to make cupcakes from scratch along with nutella frosting.