Egg Slice Masala
You will find many egg recipes on the blog since I keep trying out different varieties of egg curries (away from the routine) as a side with rice or rotis. Last week, I prepared an egg curry with a twist. Egg Slice Masala is a gravy based dish where hard boiled eggs are sliced, shallow fried and simmered in a spicy, tangy and fragrant onion-tomato base. It is a slightly labor intensive dish since there is a bit of preparation work going into it. But worth the effort for all those egg lover’s out there.
Egg Slice Masala Recipe
- Eggs - 6, hard boiled, peeled and sliced
- Onion - 1, large, finely chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 1, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 3/4 tbsp
- Cumin powder - pinch
- Fennel seed powder - pinch
- Garam masala powder - pinch
- Tamarind paste - 1/2 tbsp, optional
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves - 1 1/2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Oil - 3 to 4 tbsps oil
- For coating of egg slices:
- Eggs - 2, lightly beaten
- Milk - 4 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Heat 2 tbsps olive oil in a large saucepan. Mix all the ingredients called for 'coating' of egg slices in a shallow bowl. Add few egg slices in this mixture and coat on both sides. Place each coated egg slice in the hot oil (spacing them well) and cook on both sides till lightly browned. Remove onto a plate and keep aside. Repeat with the rest of the egg slices.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add the left over oil (after shallow frying) and heat. Add more oil if required. Add chopped onions and saute for 4 mts. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for 3 mts. Add curry leaves and mix.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, fennel seed powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and mix. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for 4 mts or till oil separates.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and add the tamarind paste and fried egg slices and place lid. Cook on simmer for 8-10 mts.
- Add the garam masla powder and mix. Cook without lid till you achieve the desired gravy consistency.
- Turn off flame, remove into serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice, flavored rice or rotis.
- You can add a tsp of cashew nut paste towards the end of the cooking process for a richer taste.
South Indian food boasts of a variety of egg recipes to go with rice. Try Egg slice masala which makes a perfect side with flavored rice and rotis too.