Kerala Egg Curry
A light, yellow colored sauce, subtly spiced egg curry that is flavored with coconut milk and garam masala, makes for a delectable side with Kerala style breakfast dishes like Appam, Puttu and Idiyappam. Very quick to make provided you have coconut milk on hand. I used fresh home made coconut milk using home grown coconuts. The egg curry made for a divine accompaniment with Idiyappam.
The finishing touch of freshly ground black pepper and fresh curry leaves are the key elements of Kerala egg curry. Of course, the thick coconut milk lends the curry a creamy sauce and an irresistible aroma and flavor. Don’t you love the gorgeous color of the curry?
Kerala Egg Curry Recipe
- Eggs - 4, hard boiled, peeled
- Onion - 1, finely sliced (large)
- Green chilies - 2, slit lengthwise
- Ginger - 1", finely minced
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Tomato - 1, finely chopped
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups, thin
- Thick coconut milk - 3/4 to 1 cup
- Black Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp (crushed)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilies - 1, tear and de-seed
- Coconut oil - 1 1/2 tbsps (or any oil)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add the red chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions, few curry leaves, minced ginger and green chilies and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for 4 mts.
- Add salt to taste and thin coconut milk and cook on low to medium flame for 7- 8 minutes. Stir once in a while.
- Add the eggs and cook for 2 mts. Add garam masala powder, crushed pepper and the remaining curry leaves.
- Add the thick coconut milk and cook on low flame for a minute and turn off heat. Serve with rice, appam, puttu, idiyappam or rotis.
- You can add finely minced garlic at the time of adding the ginger.
- For garam masala, crush 1 green cardamom, 2 cloves and 1/2" cinnamon stick.
- You can use ginger garlic paste instead of minced ginger and garlic. But I'd suggest you use minced ginger-garlic rather than the paste.
Kerala Egg Curry, a subtly spiced sauce with coconut milk is one of the classic recipes of Kerala dishes. It goes well with Idiyappam, Appam, Puttu & Rotis