8 Healthy Summer Coolers

Carrot Delight
Carrot Delight

How do you beat the heat during hot summer days? Do you take to aerated colas or home made healthy juices and natural drinks like tender coconut water to quench thirst and soothe parched throats? There was a time during my growing years when I indulged in aerated cold drinks like Goldspot, Limca and Thums Up and its been a good number of years since I have refrained from drinking them. I can’t recall when I last had a cola.

Its sad and unfortunate that the trend in many of our Indian homes (both lower income and higher income groups) today is offering aerated drinks during birthday parties, get-togethers and weddings. With aggressive advertising by MNC’s, the illiterate lot have begun to believe that colas are healthy. Visit any village, town or city across the Indian sub-continent and you can hardly find a tender coconut or sugarcane juice vendor who have since been replaced with pan shops carrying billboards of Pepsi and Coco Cola and crates of aerated drinks.

Do we need these multinational supplied drinks when we have a range of traditional drinks to chose from that are nutritious, delicious and not to mention, low-cost? Its time to go back to our roots, rediscover the goodness of our simple nimbu paani, buttermilk, lassi, and other traditional drinks like jal jeera, thandai, mango panna and panakam and preserve them from oblivion.

I had recently done an article on ‘Summer Coolers’ for Marie Clarie magazine (India edition) 2008 May issue in which I shared recipes and images of healthy summer coolers with a South Indian flavor.

Marie Claire Magazine - Summer Coolers
Summer Coolers for Marie Claire Magazine

Eight summer coolers recipes with images (including recipes done for Marie Claire) have been complied into a document where you can zoom, scroll and print. There is also a downloadable PDF file.

Recipes for Marie Claire Magazine:

Menthi Majjiga
Ragi Drink
Vasantha Neer
Cucumber Cooler
Panakam

Other recipes:

Watermelon Surprise
Carrot Delight
Watermelon Treat

Our family favorites which we relish during the summer months. Dear readers, enjoy these healthy recipes and ‘Yeh Dil Maange NO more – Pepsi and Colas’.-:)

8 Healthy Summer Coolers

• Serves:

1. mango
  2. tender coconut

Carrot Delight How do you beat the heat during hot summer days? Do you take to aerated colas or home made healthy juices and natural drinks like tender coconut water to quench thirst and...

1. Nandita says:

Sailu,
    It’s wonderful that your work is getting published in MC..i am checking the files here, but would love to catch hold of the magazine :)
    I’m sure the pictures are delightful!

2. Vandy says:

hey great reciepes and congrats on getting them published! Great pictures as usual :)

3. rachel says:

lovely recipes..and adding lemon juice and honey in tender coconut water was nice….

4. arundati says:

sailu!! congratulations and wonderful to see your kitchen in MC!!

5. Srivalli says:

wonderful pictures and recipes!..all of them look awesome!…

6. Sailu, enjoyed your post and the recipes…congrats on ur work!

7. shibani says:

Congratulation Sailu, Lovely presentation and fantastic recipes.Great job

8. TBC says:

Congratulations on the Marie Claire article!

I’ve been wanting to try panakam for a long time now.

9. ranji says:

wow!! thats awesome Sailu…getting ones work getting published in a magazine…congrats!!:)

10. Mishmash! says:

Saiu, it is great that your work is getting published and you re getting recognition too….the content looks awesome, especially the professional touch to the pictures…..great work….congrats :)

Shn

11. revathi says:

Clap Clap Clap ! Beautiful pics, simple recipes, great showcase of tradition !!!

Wishing all the best for more to come !

12. Mansi says:

all of these look very beautiful Sailu! and that chhaas in the matki is amazing!! congrats on the article…your pics already soothed my summer morning a bit:)

btw, if you find some time, do try to participate in my monthly mingle this month!:)

13. Sapna says:

Wow Sailaja,

Cheers to you! Great photos and wonderful recipes. I really really like the Menthi Majigga photo specially with the Karivepaaku garnish, now that karivepaaku is no more available in the US. Last summer I tried out your watermelon fresca and it was relished by my family, even my 2-yr old daughter. Even Mamidikaaya Panna, Ugadi Pachadi (made into a drink) can be enjoyed in summer. I used to relish Thandai drink made from the bottled concentrates. Do you have a Thandai recipe?
    Thanks for the recipes and letting us download them. Stay cool.

14. Meera says:

That’s awesome. I love all your recipes and pictures. Just one look at that comforting carrot delight, and it makes me so happy. Great job on MC article. I wish I could read the real magazine. But I will have a look at the website. Thanks so much for sharing.

15. Uma says:

Congrats Sailu! Good job! It’s so wonderful that your article is published in MC! Those are some great summer coolers. Wish you many more achievements in future.

16. shilpa says:

That looks like a beautiful article Sailu. Will download the pdf and read it now.

17. Cham says:

Congrats! All the recipes are cool and gorgeous :)

18. Ashwini says:

Sailu I am so glad all your excellent work on this blog is getting a wider audience.
    Keep it up. Off to download the pdf now.

19. sreelu says:

Sailu, This is awesome, congrats on being featured in MC. love your recipes and pics :)

20. Aruna says:

Hi

beautiful pictures and awesome presentation. Just one small thing I noticed – for Panakam, there’s a typo that says its a tamarind based drink, whereas this is a jaggery based drink.

Thank you for pointing it out, Aruna. I have corrected the typo.

21. Latha says:

Very cool Sailu! The article looks resplendent with colors and the drinks look lovely! Thanks for the pdf. I will surely ahve to make these at home for the kids!

22. Kalai says:

Congratulations on getting published, Sailu!! The coolers sound delicious and thanks for linking us to the downloadable file. Perfect for summer! :)

23. neelima says:

your recipies are wonderful sailu.
    More than the recipes, I absolutely love your photographs.
    you have a very good perspective and sense of lighting.
    Congratulations on getting published.

24. Hetal says:

Have been to taste of India many a times but visiting ur blog for the first time.first of all congrats for ur article in the magazine..lovely summer beverages..

25. Sirisha says:

Great work. So nice of you, Sailu… I really love the pictures and the way you describe it which tempts me to try. And of course I am getting very good results.

26. Divya Vikram says:

Wonderful presentation and thanks for sharing ur recipes here

27. Suganya says:

I don’t know which is better, the recipes or the pics. Gorgeous work, Sailu.

28. Dhivya says:

I like your presentations a lot. Congratulations on publishing your recipes in MC. In your Panakam recipe I think you missed tamarind in the ingredient section as well as in the procedure. Since you mentioned in the title, it is a tamarind based drink I thought we need to add tamarind.

Its a typo, Dhivya. Panakam is a jaggery based drink.

29. Jaya says:

Kudos to you Sailu for promoting these traditional, healthy, and delicious drinks. Glad it got published for even more people to see!

30. Purnima says:

Sailu, feeling immensely proud of your way of putting our health drinks over the aerated ones..the ad world (tv and print) is truly leaving no stones unturned in promoting them! My heartfelt Congrats to you on having published these n sharing it with many of print media readers! The pics have great appeal to it, loved the paanak!! The melons too look great, loved the scooped balls in background! Wd surely try Raagi and Paanak instantly!

31. RedChillies says:

Beautiful work Sailu! I have downloaded the pdf file and will cherish it for years to come. The presentation, write up and the pictures are simply superb.

32. Anitha says:

Hi Sailu garu,

Congrats !! great work as usual.

I have one question for you, I made kandi podi after checking the reciepe from your website. I followed the instructions exactly, it has come out good, But I had kept it in refrigerator , but it got spoiled after 4 days dont know y. it became like ‘mudda’. even the taste has changed. Finally I had to discard it.

Any ideas what might have happened ?? Wondering where had I gone wrong ?

regards
    Anitha

Its very unusual for a podi to turn into a mudda after a few days of preparation. You might have used a wet spoon to remove the podi. It never happened to me and I usually don’t refrigerate podis. When you refrigerate and remove for use, droplets of water (due to condensation) might have leaked from the lid of the bottle into the podi making it wet.

33. swati raman says:

too good, each one soothes on a summer morning.. i will try the cucumber one first..

34. Rupa says:

hey Congratulations…can’t wait to get a copy ….which edition is it? Is it already in the stands??

Thank you, Rupa. Its May issue and is available.

35. Rupa says:

hey, just read the post and its the may edition…will be soon getting my own copy….. :)

36. Asha says:

Oh, that’s such great treat for me. It’s hot and humid here, need all 8 of those yummies!

Great to see you in the magazine, I will download and try these in Summer. Have a safe weekend, hugs!:)

37. Aruna says:

To Anitha – whose podi got spoilt in the fridge.

Anitha, if you need to store podis to retain the taste and for longer shelf life try storing them in the freezer in a ziploc baggie or an airtight container. They will stay fresh for months this way. hope this helps.

38. smitha says:

Good Lord !!! those photos are amazing. Great work Sailaja, keep it up and CONGRATULATIONS on your acheivement. Can you start a blog on photography too, pleezee

39. indosungod says:

Lovely Sailu, that is fantastic and ofcourse the drinks all are delicious looking and without those annoying burps(colas). The pictures are absolutely gorgeous.

40. Trupti says:

It is too bad that everyone is following the pepsi/coke craze….it is so unhealthy, especially the ‘diet’ ones. I really liked your post on these healthy and natural drinks…I’ve started stocking up on 100% fruit juices at home here…and they are so good! 😉

41. Munni says:

Congratulations Sailu, delightful recipes, keep up the good work.

42. Claudia says:

Thank you for a great post! In the past I’ve made lassis, but never the other drinks and never with fruit. It’s getting very warm here in Hawaii now, and what a good idea for coolers. I’ve kept away from carbonated drinks pretty much myself, and raised our daughter that way also. I’ve been trying a few of your recipes from time to time, but this is the first comment.

43. sushma says:

Such nice looking coolers. Sailu, its nice to hear that your article is published in MC.

44. Maninas says:

Congratulations on a wonderful article, Sailu!

45. Raaga says:

Hey… totally agree. It is fashionable to store colas at home. I made panakam and neer mor on Ram Navami as the weather demanded it :-)

46. Lakshmi says:

Hello sailugaru,

I saw these drinks got published in ‘Swathi’ the telugu magazine. The snaps seemed to be different. The name ‘menthi majjiga’ made me wonder if it was by you..Then the rest of the coolers confirmed it. The authors name was ‘G.Sailaja’..I just hope they got it published with your premission.

47. nags says:

oh. thats so ‘cool’! did u take all the pics too? really lovely!!! the setting for each pic is very creative and beautiful.. went back again and again 😀

48. Medhaa says:

Congratulations, They all look so lovely, love the snaps…:)

49. Bharti says:

Hi Sailu…missed this post in the past. Tried out your cucumber cooler via Swati’s blog. Check it out.

50. Aparna says:

Congratulations on getting your recipes published. They’re very eye-catching and perfect for this weather. We tend to go this way too. I make milk and yogurt based drink with fruits because this is one way my daughter never refuses them.

51. krishna says:

Hi Sailu Mam,

Where have you been all these years… maybe I should ask that question to myself. What a presentation about top 8 coolers. And kudos to the photographer. pics are enhancing your coolest/best recipes much more.

I wanna promote your blog (that has the best recipes and healthiest, on top of these Andhra recipes) to all my friends.

U Rock mam.

-Krishna (food lover)

52. bharathi says:

Sailiu garu,

Carrot delight looks good.. but I couldnt download the pdf to see the recipe. Is the link still valid.. if not would you please post the carrot delight recipe in your blog again?

53. Nidhi says:

Hi,
    When we talk of Summer Coolers, we should source raw material from the seasonal fruits or veggies bcoz they are meant to be consumed in that very season by Nature.
    Anything away from Nature always disturbs the 3 basic elements of our system and as a nutritionist you know it better what to be extended to dear readers.

1. May 12, 2010

[…] weather I hope that it cools down in time for the weekend. I am itching to test out Sailaja’s Summer Cooler Drinks while entertaining friends over the […]