Murmura Chivda ~ Puffed Rice Chivda (Healthy snacks of India)
I am a huge fan of Muri mixture that is sold by bajjiwalas (vendors) along the Vizag beach road. I am talking about the masala murmura which is prepared with chopped onions, tomatoes, chili powder, peanuts, coriander leaves and a dash of lemon juice. Just typing that out made my mouth water. I had a huge bag of Muri aka Borugulu/Marmaralu/Murmura that needed to be used up and what better than Murmura Chivda. Ridiculously simple to make with minimal ingredients and hardly any cooking time.
For those of you who find it challenging to make snacks for your family due to time constraints, Murmura Chivda is the answer. This is a relatively easy and quick snack to put together and not to mention, addictive. Dried coconut, either grated or thin silvers is an essential ingredient along with dalia (roasted chickpeas) and roasted peanuts. I also like to add few cashew nuts since I love them.
Murmura Chivda ~ Puffed Rice Chivda
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 10
- puffed rice
- Puffed Rice - 250 gms, fresh and crisp (marmaralu/borugulu/muri/murmara)
- Roasted peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Cashew nuts - 1/4 cup, broken into pieces
- Roasted chickpeas - 1/3 cup (dalia/putnala pappu)
- Dried coconut - 1/2 cup, grated
- Green chilies - 6-7, absolutely dry and slit into two
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp (adjust)
- Salt to taste (approx 1/4 tsp)
- Oil - 4 to 5 tbsps
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once hot, add dalia, roast on medium flame for little less than a mt, drain from oil and set aside. In the same oil, add cashew nuts and roast till light golden brown, drain and set aside. In the same oil, add green chilies and allow to turn crisp, drain and set aside. In the same oil, add curry leaves and allow to turn crisp, drain and set aside.
- In the same oil, add grated dry coconut and roast till golden brown. Once it turns golden brown, add all the roasted ingredients along with roasted peanuts and mix them well. Add turmeric powder, salt, sugar and red chili powder and mix well.
- Add the puffed rice and mix well and allow to roast on low flame for 2 mts. Keep mixing through out. Turn off flame and allow to come to room temperature.
- Store in an air tight container.
- Add more oil if required while roasting the grated dry coconut.
- 4 to 5 crushed garlic cloves can also be roasted and added.
- Instead of garlic, 1/4 tsp asafoetida can be added.
Published: Murmura chivda, a popular snack among Telugu people is one of the healthy snacks of India. Spiced puffed rice mixture uses dried coconut, dalia & chilies.
Murmura chivda, a popular snack among Telugu people is one of the healthy snacks of India. Spiced puffed rice mixture uses dried coconut, dalia & chilies.