Chocolate Mousse ~ Easy dessert recipes for kids
Doesn’t it feel good to indulge in rich desserts once in a while? Chocolate is my weakness and when it is transformed into a silky smooth, melt in the mouth goodness, it is nirvana. Its not very often that I make rich desserts unless its a festival or a special occasion. During the Dusherra break, Nehal invited a few of his friends for a get together and the ideal choice of a chilled dessert to end the meal was the decandent Chocolate Mousse.
The Chocolate mousse recipe might seem daunting at first but when you get down to making it, you will realize how easy it is. It yields a fluffy, smooth yet rich tasting chocolate mousse. It is among the easy dessert recipes for kids and adults alike and a popular one at that. And do use good quality dark chocolate.
When topped with a dollop of whipped cream and garnished with grated chocolate, this chocolate mousse is a mesmerizing dessert that all you chocolate and dessert lovers will want to add to your sweet arsenal.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 6
- Eggs - 3
- Cornflour - 1 tsp
- Castor sugar - 4 tbsps
- Milk - 300 ml
- Water - 3 tbsps
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Whipping cream - 300 ml
- Dark chocolate - 225 gms, chopped (60% cacao solids
- Gelatin - 2 1/2 tsps OR Agar agar flakes - 2.5 gms OR Agar agar powder - 1/2 tsp
- An hour before preparing the chocolate mousse, pour the chilled whipping cream in a large bowl and place the bowl in the fridge. Place the beaters in the fridge.
- Soak the agar agar flakes in 1/4 cup water for at least 20 mts in hot water. (If using gelatin, sprinkle 3 tbsps of cold water over the gelatin and allow to bloom, approx 10 mts)
- In a medium sized vessel, bring a cup of water to a simmer. In another medium stainless steel bowl (or heat-proof bowl), put the chopped chocolate and place the bowl over the vessel of gently simmering water such that the bowl does not touch the water. Stir the chocolate mixture until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl and keep aside to cool.
- In a vessel, pour the milk and heat till it reaches almost boiling point. Turn off flame. Allow to cool down to a litte warmer than room temperature.
- Separate the eggs. In a heat proof bowl, place egg yolks (yellow part), cornflour, castor sugar and vanilla extract and whisk till well combined.
- Heat a pan with 2 cups of water and place the heat proof bowl with the egg yolk mixture over it. Slowly pour the luke warm milk into the egg yolk mixture while constantly whisking. It will thicken and begin to coat the back of the spoon. Remove the bowl from the simmering water and keep aside.
- Place the soaked agar agar (or bloomed gelatin if you are using it) over the vessel of simmering water and stir until combined. The agar agar will melt and becomes a clear mixture with no lumps. Turn off flame.
- Pour the agar agar mixture into the custard mixture and mix. Allow to cool.
- Now whip the cream until it holds shape and forms soft peaks. Fold this whipped cream with a long stainless steel spoon into the cooled custard.
- Next fold the melted chocolate into the custard mixture.
- Whip egg whites till soft peaks. Fold one third of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate custard mixture in a gentle motion. The gentle folding will retain the air make the mousse light. Then fold the remaining whipped egg whites into the custard mixture gently but thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into individual serving bowls or glasses and cover with clingfilm. Chill for at least 3 hours or until set.
- At the time of serving, pipe whipped cream and garnish with grated chocolate.
- If using agar agar sheets, place hot water for at least 20-30 mts.
- If using gelatin, place it in cold water to bloom for 10 mts.
- Use good quality dark chocolate for best results.
Published: Chocolate Mousse is a decadent dessert that is loved by all. It’s one of those easy dessert recipes for kids that’s tasty and makes for a great party treat.
Chocolate Mousse is a decadent dessert that is loved by all. It’s one of those easy dessert recipes for kids that’s tasty and makes for a great party treat.