Sweet Potato Indian Recipes – Chilakada Dumpa Pulusu
I have for you, dear readers, an Andhra style sweet potato stew which goes by the name, Chilaka Dumpa Pulusu in Telugu. Sweet Potato is a favorite in our home. The irregular shaped, oblong tuber also known as Teepi Dumpa in coastal parts of Andhra is usually available through out the year in the farmer’s market. Most times we like to eat them steamed or make a mixed vegetable curry (Kalagaya Kura). Other than making a curry we also make a tangy stew using sweet potato that is popular in most parts of Andhra.
Sweet potato is simmered in a beautiful amalgamation of spices like fenugreek, cumin, coriander, chilis, jaggery and tamarind extract to yield a soft, creamy, melt in the mouth texture with a burst of sweet and tangy flavors. The flavorful stew with warm rice makes for a delectable, comforting meal.
Chilakada Dumpa Pulusu ~ Andhra Style Sweet Potato Stew
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 4
- sweet potato
- Sweet potato - 2, large, wash, scrub dirt and cut into 1.5" pieces
- Shallots - 12 or one medium onions, quartered
- Tomato - 2, quartered
- Green chillis - 2, slit length wise. adjust to suit your spice level
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind - small lemon size (extract the juice in 1 cup warm water)
- Jaggery - 1/2 tbsp, gratred or sugar (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- For spice pwd: Roast in a tsp of oil for 5 mts, cool and grind to a coarse powder
- Dry red chilis - 2
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1 1/2 tsps
- Bengal gram - 1 tsp, channa dal/senga pappu
- Split gram dal - 1 tsp urad dal/minapa pappu
- Fenugreek seeds - pinch methi/menthulu
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp til/nuvvulu
- For tempering/poppu/tadka:
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Split gram dal - 1/2 tsp, minapapappu/urad dal
- Fenugreek seeds - pinch, menthulu/methi
- Asafoetida/ - pinch, hing/inguva OR 3 crushed garlic flakes
- Dry red chilli - 1-2, tear into pieces and de-seed
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add the sweet potato pieces, shallots, tomatoes, green chillis and turmeric powder. Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and let the vegetables half cook.
- Once vegetables are half cooked, add the tamarind extract, salt and jaggery and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 12-15 mts, till the rawness of the tamarind disappears.
- Add the ground spice pwd and combine well. Let it cook for another 6-7 mts.
- Heat oil a separate pan, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the cumin seeds, urad dal, fenugreek, hing, red chillis and fry for 15-20 secs or till they turn brown. Donâ€™t burn them. Lastly add curry leaves and immediately add to the vegetable mixture.
- Simmer for a minute or two and turn off heat. Garnish with fresh coriander and keep covered for 10 mts before serving.
- Serve with warm seamed rice and appadam (papad)
- Sesame seeds are optional. You can add a heaped tbsp of coconut that is lightly roasted along with the ground powder.
Published: A classic among Sweet Potato Indian recipes is a tangy stew, Chilakada Dumpa Pulusu. Tamarind, jaggery & spices go into making this gem among Andhra dishes.
A classic among Sweet Potato Indian recipes is a tangy stew, Chilakada Dumpa Pulusu. Tamarind, jaggery & spices go into making this gem among Andhra dishes.