There are quite a few Indian regional cuisines that boast of vegetarian delicacies featuring raw jackfruit and one such culinary gem is Jackfruit Biryani or Kathal Biryani.
Tender raw jackfruit, called Panasakaya in Telugu and Kathal in Hindi, is an exotic vegetable in India and is considered as vegetarian meat because of its meat like texture and flavor. The tender jackfruit is used to prepare curries and biryani while the semi-ripe fruit is used to prepare chips. The fully ripe jackfruit is devoured as a fruit and is also used to prepare desserts. The seeds of the jackfruit are edible and usually boiled or roasted over hot coal and eaten.
Fresh tender jackfruit is available in our farmer’s market. Bought some recently and prepared Jackfruit Biryani over the weekend. This unusual yet exotic rice dish is a vegetarian’s delight. The chunks of marinated jackfruit are well cooked under dum until fork tender and literally melt in the mouth. Follow the recipe for Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani and replace the chicken with boiled tender jackfruit pieces. Do not make this recipe without mint as it provides the freshness and aroma to the biryani. Serve the Jackfruit biryani with Korma and raita. Utterly delicious meal for that special occasion and one that is irresistible to both kids and adults alike!
Jackfruit Biryani Recipe
- Raw tender jackfruit pieces - 6 cups, cut into 1" pieces, washed and drained completely
- Onions - 2, large, finely sliced
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Mint leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Saffron - few strands
- Milk - 1/2 cup, luke warm
- Salt to taste
- Ghee - 1 tbsps
- Oil - 4 tbsps
- For marination:
- Yogurt - 3/4 cup (thick curd)
- Green chilies - 7-8, make a small slit in them
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tbsp, adjust
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 3/4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Pudina - 1/2 cup (mint leaves)
- Lemon - 1
- Salt - 1 3/4 salt
- Biryani masala, make powder:
- Cloves - 5
- Cinnamon stick - 1", dal chini chekka
- Cardamom - 3, elaichi
- Shah jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper corns - 10
- Ingredients to cook rice:
- Basmati rice - 4 cups
- Cloves - 6
- Cardamom - 3
- Cinnamon stick - 1"
- Bay leaves - 3
- Marathi mogga - 1
- Star anise - 1
- Mint leaves - few
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1 tbsp
- Water as required
- Boil tender jackfruit pieces in 6 cups of water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. This should take approx 15-20 mts based on the size of the pieces. Do not over cook, the pieces should cook till soft. Drain.
- Marinate the cooked tender jackfruit pieces with the ingredients called for 'marination' along with biryani masala powder. Keep aside for 1-2 hrs. While the jackfruit is marinating, work on the rest of the preparation. Cook basmati rice in lots of water along with bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, marathi mogga, elaichi, oil and salt till its half cooked. Strain the water and spread the rice on a large wide plate. Allow to cool.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee in a vessel, add sliced onions, saute for 8-10 mts till caramelized. Remove and keep aside.
- Add the saffron to the luke warm milk and combine well. Keep aside.
- Take a wide deep vessel to prepare the biryani. Add 3 tbsps oil, add the marinated jackfruit and spread out over the vessel. Cook on high for 2 mts. Add a tbsp of oil over the jackfruit pieces. Reduce flame.
- Spread half of the rice over the jackfruit layer, pour half a tbsp of ghee all over the rice, add half of the caramelized onions and spread over the rice. Next sprinkle a tbsp of coriander leaves and a tbsp of mint leaves and pour about one fourth cup of saffron milk over the rice. Over this layer, spread the remaining rice. Again pour half a tbsp of ghee all over, add remaining caramelized onions and spread over the rice. Finally sprinkle a tbsp of coriander leaves and a tbsp of mint leaves pour remaining saffron milk over the rice.
- Place lid and over the lid place a heavy weight and seal the edges with wheat dough. Cook on high flame for 2 mts. Remove the vessel from the stove and keep aside for 2 mts. Place an iron tawa on the stove and increase flame to high. Allow to heat for a mt . Reduce to low flame and place back the biryani vessel on the iron tawa and cook biryani for 20-25 mts. Turn off heat and do not remove lid for 10 mts.
- After 10 mts, remove lid, mix gently and remove into a serving bowl. Serve warm with raita and korma.
- If you are rushed for time, you need not keep aside the marinated jackfruit pieces for 1-2 hours. Marinate for 15 mts at least.
One of the most flavorful and exotic rice dish among Jackfruit recipes is Jackfruit biryani aka Kathal ki biryani. In Andhra its popular as Panasa Biryani.