A classic North Indian non veg recipe using mincemeat (lamb) and fresh green peas, Keema Matar, is a popular dish in our home and among friends. It is a much requested dish for pot lucks. Mincemeat (lamb) works best though you could use chicken or beef in its place. I always make the curry with lamb aka keema. I froze a kilo of green peas that I bought last month towards the end of the winter season since I like to add them to most korma style dishes or to prepare peas paratha or Keema Matar, both of which are favorites in our home.
Mincemeat and green peas make for a good combination and when simmered with aromatic spices like cinnamon, cloves and cardamom, the curry is bound to be delicious. A straight forward simple recipe and a quick dish to prepare provided you use a pressure cooker. It can be slow cooked over stove top too which is much more flavorful compared to the pressure cooker method. Potatoes can also be added along with fresh green peas. I usually serve Keema Matar with a flavored rice dish, naan or phulka. Use the left over curry to make sandwiches for breakfast the next day.
Keema Matar Recipe
- Minced meat (keema) - 1/2 kg, washed and drained
- Onions - 2, finely chopped
- Tomatoes - 2, finely chopped
- Green peas - 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp
- Green cardamom - 2
- Black cardamom - 1
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cinnamon stick - 1"
- Cloves - 3
- Green chilies - 3, slit length wise
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Yogurt - 1/4 cup, mixed to a smooth paste (curd)
- Garam masala pwd (1 elaichi, 2 cloves, 1/2" cinnamon stick, 2 black pepper corns)
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil - 2 tbsps
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker, add green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaf and allow to sizzle. Add green chilies and chopped onions and saute till the onions turn transparent, approx 5 tms.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts. Add the minced meat and turmeric pwd and cook on high without lid for 4-5 mts. Stir in between. Reduce flame and cook for 5 mts.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mts on medium flame. Add a 1 1/2 cups of water and yogurt and place lid and pressure cook up to 3 whistles or until the meat is almost cooked. Turn off heat. Allow the pressure to come down. Open lid and add the fresh green peas.
- If you want more gravy, add a little more water at this stage. Cook with lid on low flame for 10 mts or till you get the desired gravy consistency. Add garam masala pwd and mix. Turn off heat and remove to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis, pulao or white steamed rice.
- If not using a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water, place lid and cook over medium flame.
- Tomato puree can be added instead of chopped tomatoes.
- Potatoes can be added too. Add them after the tomatoes are cooked and before adding water.
Among Indian non veg recipes, Keema Matar is a gem. Mincemeat green peas curry is a spiced North Indian style dish that goes well with pulao, rice or roti.