Red Velvet Cake Recipe
I hope you are enjoying your holidays and had a fabulous start to the New Year. I wish each and every reader of Sailu’s Kitchen a very happy, healthy, safe and fruitful 2013. Happy New Year, dear readers! Let’s usher in the New year with a colorful, indulgent dessert. Dear readers, I have for you Red Velvet Cake recipe with cream cheese frosting.
The only downside of the red velvet cake recipe is the copious amount of red food coloring that is used to achieve the red color of the cake. Moist, incredible flavor combination with cream cheese frosting, red velvet cake is melt in the mouth delicious. The cake pairs beautifully with cream cheese frosting where the tartness balances out the sweet flavor of the cake. The recipe below yields four 7″ round cakes. I made three 7″ round cakes and used the remaining batter to make cupcakes.
If you have never made a red velvet cake before, I’d suggest you start with this recipe. Serve your family and friends this impressive dessert and you are sure to floor them.
Red Velvet Cake
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 10
- cream cheese
- Maida - 2 1/2 cups (all purpose flour)
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Cocoa powder - 2 tbsps (unsweetened)
- Eggs - 2
- Buttermilk - 3/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- Vegetable oil - 3/4 cup
- Instant coffee powder - 1 1/2 tbsps mixed in 1/2 cup hot water
- Vanilla essence - 1 1/2 tsps
- Distilled vinegar - 1 tsp
- Red food coloring - 3 tbsps or 3/4 tsp of red gel color mixed in 4 tbsps water (I used Wilton No Taste Red gel color and 1 tbsp of tomato red food color)
- For cream cheese frosting
- Cream cheese - 225 gms (I use Philadelphia brand)
- Butter - 1/2 cup
- Powdered sugar - 2 1/2 cups, sieved
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Grease and dust three 8" round cake pans or four 7" round cake pans or two 9" round cake pans..
- In a large bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and cocoa powder. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add the butter milk and mix. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, add oil and sugar and beat for 3 to 4 mts until well combined. Add the vanilla essence, egg-buttermilk mixture, red food coloring and coffee mixture and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour, about 1/3 cup at a time and mix to combine. Do not overbeat. Repeat till all the flour is blended into the batter.
- Mix 1/2 tsp of baking soda with a tsp of distilled vinegar and as it sizzles, add it to the cake batter and mix. Immediately pour the cake batter into the prepared pans.
- The batter should fill only half the pan and not more since the cake with rise on baking.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 C for 40 to 45 mts. Check from 35 mts onwards. Large cakes take more time to bake than smaller cakes. Cool the cakes for 5 mts and then invert each onto a plate, then invert again on the right side of cake onto a cooling rack. Allow the cakes to cool to room temperature..
- To prepare the frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter for 3 mts with an electric mixture. Add the vanilla and mix. Add sieved powdered sugar a little at a time and beat until frosting is light and fluffy approx 4-5 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a cake plate, level the cake (if the cake has a dome shape use a serrated knife to level) and spread a quarter of the frosting on top. Place another cake layer over it and level the cake. Spread a quarter of the frosting on top. Place the third cake layer on top, level the cake and spread frosting on top. You can frost the sides with the remaining frosting. I have not frosted the sides.
- The cake batter is runny. Fill the pan half way through only and not more.
- Usually, after leveling the cake, there will be crumbs and when frosting the cake, the crumbs will mix with the frosting. To avoid that, I usually invert the cake (upside down) since there will be no crumbs and its easier to frost.
- You can even crumb coat with a thin layer of frosting, set in fridge for half an hour and then spread a generous amount of frosting over the crumb coat.
Published: One of the best dessert recipes I made for New Year’s eve is Red Velvet Cake recipe with cream cheese frosting. Moist cake with a delicious frosting.
One of the best dessert recipes I made for New Year’s eve is Red Velvet Cake recipe with cream cheese frosting. Moist cake with a delicious frosting.