When the temperature comes down, I tend to crave for comfort food which is quick to make yet super tasty. And its also important that I include nutrient-rich vegetables to make it healthy. Its been pouring cats and dogs the past few days with no sign of any sunshine. On one such cold and rainy morning, I prepared Oats Masala which is close to Oats Upma recipe that I blogged earlier.
Oats Masala basically is nothing but inclusion of oats in Masala Upma recipe. I reduced the amount of semolina and included dry roasted instant oats, mixed vegetables and a generous amount of ghee. Oats and garam masala go well with each other and when they come together in the form of an upma it exudes warmth and spice. Be sure to serve Oats Masala warm and garnished with fresh coriander. I like to eat this oats recipe with home made tomato pickle.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 3
- Oats - 1 cup, dry roasted for 3 mts
- Semolina - 1/2 cup, dry roasted for 5 mts
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Onion - 1, sliced
- Green Chilies - 2, slit
- Carrot - 1, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- Potato - 1, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- Capsicum - 1, chopped into small pieces
- Tomato - 1, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick - 1"
- Green Cardamom - 1
- Garam Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Heat a tbsp of ghee and oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom and clove. Allow them to sizzle and add the curry leaves, green chilies and sliced onions. Saute for 4 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for another 4 mts. Add chopped carrots, potatoes and capsicum and saute on medium flame for 5 mts. Reduce flame, place lid and cook for 7 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 mts.
- Add salt and garam masala and mix. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and slowly add the roasted semolina while constantly mixing. Keep mixing on low to medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the oats at this stage and half a tbsp of ghee and mix. Cook on low flame for 3 minutes. Turn off heat. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Remove onto a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Vegans can omit ghee.
- Sprouts can also be added along with mixed vegetables.
Published: An easy Indian recipe with oats is Oats Masala. Try this healthy breakfast recipe prepared with oats, semolina, vegetables and flavored with garam masala.
An easy Indian recipe with oats is Oats Masala. Try this healthy breakfast recipe prepared with oats, semolina, vegetables and flavored with garam masala.