Nehal is mid way through his final exams and am looking at ways to please his growling tummy. He is ever hungry during exam time. Does it happen with your kids too?
I had bookmarked a recipe for chicken stuffed buns quite some time ago but re-discovered it recently and got down to baking them over the weekend. An absolute winner of a recipe from Ria’s mother, Mrs. Susy Mathew, who runs a food catering business. Thank you, Ria for sharing your mother’s stuffed buns recipe. These buns have become a hit not only with my family but friends and neighbors too.
These stuffed buns have a light and airy texture and are perfect homemade snacks for kids. They work great for breakfast, as a lunch box snack or an after school snack. The filling is absolutely versatile. You can go the vegetarian way with the likes of paneer and mixed vegetables.
Chicken Stuffed Buns Recipe
- Active dry yeast: 1 tbsp
- Warm water: 2 tbsps
- Milk: 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil: 1/2 cup
- Maida: 2 1/4 cups (all purpose flour)
- Sugar: 2 tbsps
- Egg: 1, beaten
- Egg white: 1, for egg wash
- White sesame seeds: for sprinkling
- Chicken Stuffing
- Shredded Chicken: 1 1/2 cups (cooked)
- Onion: 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 1/2 tsps
- Cumin powder: pinch
- Garam Masala powder: pinch
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves: 2 tbsps (finely chopped)
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water with 1/2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp flour. Leave aside for 10 mts.
- Boil the milk and cool till it is warm on touch. Add sugar, oil and salt.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon till the sugar dissolves. Add 1 cup flour and mix to a smooth paste.
- Add the beaten egg, yeast and mix. Add the remaining flour and mix well till it forms a smooth dough.
- Knead well for 10 mts. Let it rest till it doubles in volume (approx an hour or two). While its resting prepare the chicken filling.
- Punch down the dough lightly using your palm and divide the dough equally.
- Flatten each portion and fill with 1 tbsp of the chicken filling. Re-shape into a smooth ball. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Let it sit/prove for another 20 mins.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees C for 10-12 mts. When it starts to brown, brush tops with egg white.
- Method for Chicken Filling - Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the onions and saute for 4 mts. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 4 mts..
- Reduce the heat, add the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well. Add salt to taste. Cook for 3 mts.
- Turn off heat and cool. Add coriander leaves and mix.
- You can try different fillings of your choice. Grated paneer, mixed vegetables, green peas masala make for a good filling.
- White sesame seeds is optional.
- These buns taste good without the stuffing too.
Nehal is mid way through his final exams and am looking at ways to please his growling tummy. He is ever hungry during exam time. Does it happen with your kids too? I had bookmarked a recipe for chicken stuffed buns quite some time ago but re-discovered it recently and got down to baking them over the weekend. These stuffed buns are perfect homemade snacks for kids.