Molten Lava Chocolate Cake

Its been a while since I made anything chocolate and glad I made these today. We celebrated Valentine’s Day with a wonderfully decadent chocolate dessert. Molten Lava Chocolate Cake – a perfect Valentine Day’s treat! Its ridiculously easy, quick to make and chocolate-y. Mini warm chocolate cake with oozing, flowing chocolate similar to molten lava.

chocolate-molten-lava-cake
Molten Lava Chocolate Cake

My mini cakes had more than required gooey chocolate lava, not that I do not like them that way. The next time I make them, I will reduce the espresso liquid and up the flour quantity a bit. Yes, I made an espresso version as I love the concoction of espresso and chocolate in these petite cakes. Isn’t chocolate beautiful is all its avatars?

molten-chocolate-lava-cake
Molten Lava Cake before baking

Molten Lava Chocolate Cake

1. Chocolate
  2. Eggs

• Dark Chocolate: 120 gms
  • Butter: 5 tbsps
  • Sugar: 2/3 cup (powdered)
  • Warm water: 1/4 cup
  • Instant Espresso Powder: 2 tsps
  • Eggs: 2
  • Egg yolks: 2
  • Salt: pinch
  • Flour: 2/3 cup

1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees centigrade. Grease 3 ramekins.
  2. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Keep aside.
  3. Mix together espresso and warm water. Keep aside.
  4. Mix the powdered sugar, eggs, egg yolks and salt. Add espresso liquid and mix for about 2 mts.
  5. Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
  6. Add the flour and mix. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared ramekins.
  7. Place in the oven in the middle rack and bake for 12 mts.
  8. The center will appear still gooey but the edges slightly firm.
  9. Run a knife along the edge and invert onto a serving plate.
  10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately. (I did not sprinkle any sugar)
  11. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

• You can reduce the quantity of warm water to 2 tbsps for a less gooey center.
  • Espresso powder can be omitted. If not using espresso, do not use warm water.
  • You can use orange juice in place of espresso liquid.

We celebrated Valentine’s Day with a wonderfully decadent chocolate dessert. Molten Lava Cake – a perfect Valentine Day’s treat! Its ridiculously easy, quick to make and chocolate-y. Mini warm chocolate cake with oozing, flowing chocolate similar to molten lava.

1. Asathnur says:

OMG you are my hero! My fav dessert of all time and now you have taught me how to make it! Happy Valentine’s day!

2. Asathnur says:

3. Sumi says:

Happy Valentine’s Day!.. Delicious dessert to mark the day! Am baking Heart shaped short bread cookies with Jam drops in the center.. Beautiful and yum! Will try this chocolate delicacy soon!

4. Happy Valentine’s Day!
    That looks like a delicious dessert.

5. nitha says:

happy valentines day.it luks like a gud lava cake.btw can u pls inform me gud heavy cream brands in hyderabad dear?amul fresh is becoming runny after beating.n also im a toddler in whipping process.don laugh at me but3couldu suggest some available brands here?

6. nitha says:

7. Lavanya Thatha says:

I made this last night and we all loved the cake. Thanks for sharing:)

8. Lavanya Thatha says:

I made this last night and we all loved the cake. Thanks for sharing:)

9. Sulekha8 says:

Hi! I love your recipes. Can this molten lava chocolate cake which is so irresistible to look at, be made in an eggless variety? Do let me know what can be substituted then to the recipe?

10. Sulekha8 says:

• Anonymous says:

Omit the eggs, add 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 tsp baking soda, I have not tried the eggless version, Do try it and let me know how it turns out.

11. Raji Kris09 says:

Dated: 16.02.2012.

Hi!
    “HAPPY VALENTINE DAY”!

For this Lava chocolate cake can i use condense milk,baking soda,baking pdr instead of eggs ,will it cum out well? as i m a pure veggie.

raji iyer

12. 16-2-2012 says:

Just bumped on this! Amazing work Maggi!

13. Siri says:

thank you for the molten lava cake recipe. its my hubby’s fav

14. bindu molleti says:

Instant Espresso Powder means what?

15. bindu molleti says:

Instant Espresso Powder means what?

16. iphone says:

yummmmmy thats really awesome cake..

17. iphone says:

yummmmmy thats really awesome cake..

18. redsnow says:

i will definetly make this at my home… thats reallt fantastic

19. redsnow says:

i will definetly make this at my home… thats reallt fantastic

20. redsnow says:

i will definetly make this at my home… thats reallt fantastic

21. I think it is very tasty and i love to eat this.

22. 7pountu says:

Hi. Your post is simply inspiring that i can’t wait to give it myself a try. Could you recommend though a good brand of dark chocolate to use for this recipe? Thanks a lot!

23. spv kr says:

I have never tried making this..looks delicious.

24. Anonymous says:

This looks very gorgeous, nice job!

25. Divya Bhaskar says:

Dear Sailu, first of all my love to you for bringing out such a delicious and lovely recipe. I am a great chocolate cake fan and I have been trying to make some delicious cakes over the past few months. But I never seem to get the perfect blend, the perfect mix and the perfect bake. My chocolate cakes are sometimes over baked making them stiff and difficult to chew. How do you get the blend right? How do you get the perfect colour and the mix? Is there some logic or science or its plain and simple practice? I would love it if you share.

Divya Bhaskar
    MyGrahak.com

26. banu says:

sailu garu hai
    i have been viewing your site for quite some time and your recipes are so easy to follow.I want to know about a recipe which is mostly prepared in eluru region and also in the kakinada region it is called garaaz. it just looks like thin noodles gathered (flat like a puri and folded in half) and deep fried, has sweet taste. May be made out of rice flour, milk and sugar or maida. Please post the recipe if you have any idea about this. This sweet reminds me of the recipe from rajasthan – ghevar.

27. banu says:

sailu garu hai

28. banu says:

sailu garu hai

29. Anonymous says:

30. tanvi says:

cud u pls tell if dis choco lava cake can be prepared in a microwave…n tym n temp to b set.
    thnkx :)

31. Puja says:

Hi,
    Love the presentation.. ! Very tempting… But can u tell me any substitutes for eggs other than milkmaid.. ?!
    Milkmaid helps sometimes but the cakes dont get the same fluffiness and gooeyness like the cakes with eggs have..
    I am a vegetarian and find it little tough to find substitutes for eggs. (esp in visakhapatnam !!)..

32. Reena Gupta says:

thanku for shearing such a delicious recipes…this is my all time favorite dish…

33. Reena Gupta says:

thanku for shearing such a delicious recipes…this is my all time favorite dish…

34. Anonymous says:

Wow that looks so good! Thanks for giving me an awesome desert to make for our anniversary dinner next month. Or would it be wrong if I made these for breakfast…. :)

35. Anonymous says:

36. Its Is Jain says:

can this b made without eggs?????

37. Bina says:

too good must try…can i use Amul butter

38. Achalaprasad says:

Hi, lava cake looks yummy. We can’t prepare without eggs?