Its been a while since I made anything chocolate and glad I made these today. We celebrated Valentine’s Day with a wonderfully decadent chocolate dessert. Molten Lava Chocolate Cake – a perfect Valentine Day’s treat! Its ridiculously easy, quick to make and chocolate-y. Mini warm chocolate cake with oozing, flowing chocolate similar to molten lava.
My mini cakes had more than required gooey chocolate lava, not that I do not like them that way. The next time I make them, I will reduce the espresso liquid and up the flour quantity a bit. Yes, I made an espresso version as I love the concoction of espresso and chocolate in these petite cakes. Isn’t chocolate beautiful is all its avatars?
Molten Lava Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Dark Chocolate: 120 gms
- Butter: 5 tbsps
- Sugar: 2/3 cup (powdered)
- Warm water: 1/4 cup
- Instant Espresso Powder: 2 tsps
- Eggs: 2
- Egg yolks: 2
- Salt: pinch
- Flour: 2/3 cup
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees centigrade. Grease 3 ramekins.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Keep aside.
- Mix together espresso and warm water. Keep aside.
- Mix the powdered sugar, eggs, egg yolks and salt. Add espresso liquid and mix for about 2 mts.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour and mix. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Place in the oven in the middle rack and bake for 12 mts.
- The center will appear still gooey but the edges slightly firm.
- Run a knife along the edge and invert onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately. (I did not sprinkle any sugar)
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- You can reduce the quantity of warm water to 2 tbsps for a less gooey center.
- Espresso powder can be omitted. If not using espresso, do not use warm water.
- You can use orange juice in place of espresso liquid.
We celebrated Valentine’s Day with a wonderfully decadent chocolate dessert. Molten Lava Cake – a perfect Valentine Day’s treat! Its ridiculously easy, quick to make and chocolate-y. Mini warm chocolate cake with oozing, flowing chocolate similar to molten lava.