Want to try something different other than sugar cookies and fruit cake for Christmas? How about a classic Indian sweet recipe, Doodh Peda aka Milk Fudge, that makes for an ideal Christmas treat for family and friends. Pedas are rich, sweet and quick to make with hardly any preparation time. I made them over stove top which took a couple of minutes of cooking compared to Microwave.
I have taken the short cut method to prepare Doodh Peda using condensed milk and milk powder. The traditional version of Doodh Peda is labor intensive but has a flavor and texture that is creamy and absolutely melt-in-the-mouth. You can look forward to the traditional Pala Kova aka Doodh Peda recipe in a couple of weeks.
I accidentally added more than required milk powder hence the cracked look of the pedas. The key to a soft and smooth peda is to lightly grease your fingers and palm and roll out into small balls and go slow on milk powder.
Doodh Peda ~ Milk Fudge
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 18
- Milk Powder
- Condensed Milk
- Milk Powder: 1 1/2 cups
- Condensed milk: 1 can (400 g OR 300 ml)
- Butter: 8 tbsps
- Cardamom: 4 (peel and crush the seeds in a mortal and pestle)
- Nuts: Almonds OR Pistachios OR Cashew nuts OR Raisins
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Add the condensed milk and milk powder and mix well. Cook on low to medium flame, stirring constantly, till it becomes a thick paste.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool till you can handle the mixture with your hand.
- Lightly grease your fingers and palm, shape the milk powder mixture into small balls and flatten them slightly.
- You can decorate the doodh pedas with any nuts of your choice.
- Store the pedas in an air tight container and place in the fridge. Remove the pedas from the fridge an hour before serving.
- You can have different flavored pedas. Substitute cardamom powder with a small pinch of saffron. Crush saffron and mix with 2-3 tsps milk, add to the peda mixture while its cooking and mix.
- Alternately, you can add 2 tbsps powdered pistachios to the peda mixture while its cooking.
- Or add 2 tbsp milk masala powder to the peda mixture while its cooking.
- This rich Indian dessert can be stored for a week in the fridge.
Published: How about a classic Indian sweet recipe, Doodh Peda aka Milk Fudge, for Christmas? Pedas are rich, sweet and quick to make dessert recipe with hardly any preparation time.
How about a classic Indian sweet recipe, Doodh Peda aka Milk Fudge, for Christmas? Pedas are rich, sweet and quick to make dessert recipe with hardly any preparation time.